D.C.'s Mass Movement of the Moth feasted on the adoration of their fans Saturday night at Kay.

Punks rattle Kay basement

Bands continue D.C.'s musical tradition at AU venue

The new documentary "American Hardcore," which chronicles the creation of hardcore punk music in the United States, concludes with the sentiment that hardcore is dead. However, over 25 years after the first hardcore bands appeared on the scene, countless newer bands tour and perform incessantly. They carry the torch of their hardcore forefathers.

Four bands continued this tradition Saturday night in the basement of Kay Spiritual Center. Local bands Brontosaurus, The Catalyst and Mass Movement of the Moth, as well as Portland, Ore., band Black Elk, played a show sponsored by AU's Community Action and Social Justice Coalition. The show benefited an alternative break trip to Brazil.

Brontosaurus, a drum and bass duo featuring members of The Catalyst, started the night (an hour later than scheduled, in true punk fashion) with intense, reverberating hardcore. Their complete rejection of the minimalism that often characterizes two-piece bands was bracing and crushing, as their bass-heavy sound overwhelmed the small venue. Brontosaurus plays the type of live show that necessitates earplugs, primarily for the listener's aural health and not to drown out the band's forceful sound.

Crucial Blast Records' Black Elk followed up with a blend of metal, post-punk and old school hardcore. Black Elk's singer spewed guttural screams and shrieks, creating a satisfying amalgamation of punk sludge. Even with their stylistic digressions, Black Elk had the most traditional hardcore sound of the night.

D.C. scene regulars The Catalyst and Mass Movement of the Moth were the true highlights of the show. The Catalyst takes a noise and grunge-influenced approach to hardcore, employing screeching guitars and a melodic sensibility reminiscent of early '90s bands like Mudhoney. The band is rounded out by their two drummers, who both provide an appropriately furious rhythm that energized the already excited crowd.

Exotic Fever Records' Mass Movement of the Moth followed with their unique brand of sci-fi post-hardcore. Their evident enthusiasm, as well as repeated insistences for dancing, spilled over to the crowd, creating a frantic dance party. Aside from a few golf-related non sequiturs from the lead singer, the crowd was entirely in step with Mass Movement of the Moth's spazzy, synth-induced frenzy.

As Kay's Saturday night show illustrates, hardcore is decidedly not dead. The sounds may be more diverse and the dancing more peaceful, but the spirit of '80s hardcore lives on.

Mass Movement of the Moth will play in the District again on Dec. 9 at the Aqueerium with Des Ark and Cry Impure. Crucial Blast will release Black Elk's new album on Nov. 7.