Middle-Eastern food fares well

Skewers 1633 P Street N.W. (202) 387-7400 Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) Price: $7-$20

Grade: A

Skewers is halfway between Dupont's hustle and bustle and Adams Morgan's crowds, but it's more than worth the walk. The restaurant has a comfortable atmosphere, prices low enough for the college budget and food that is shockingly good.

The hummus, a staple for most Middle Eastern restaurants, is smooth and creamy and hits the spot on one of Skewers' fresh, warm pitas. The eggplant salad is delicious and flavorful from the first bite and the aftertaste is even better: sweet with the essence of pomegranate. There are plenty of delicious appetizers, and the restaurant offers a two-person sampling of the top five for $13.

The kabobs are perfectly grilled so the meat has a sweet, spicy and slightly charred taste, and the vegetables are still juicy, adding flavor to the meat. Kabobs can be ordered with hummus, tabouleh, babagannouj or eggplant salad, or they can be an all-out feast with savory rice or pasta, grilled vegetables and garlic carrots. The biryani (vegetables and meat in spiced rice) is moist and flavorful but not overpowering. Take one bite and be pleased. Take another and be amazed. By the end of the meal, diners will be scraping the sauce from the plate with their fingers.

The restaurant also offers falafel, salads, sandwiches, yogurt feta dishes, cous cous and curry shrimp pasta. From Tunisian to Lebanese food, the restaurant covers the bases without blending too many flavors and creating a rip-off of Middle Eastern and North African cuisines. Vegetarians and vegans will find plenty to eat and even picky eaters can choose from simple pasta or salad dishes.

The desserts are the finishing touch on the experience. From key lime pie to rice pudding and namoura, there is something for everyone. Try the baklava supreme: two small but flaky and delicious pastries served with fresh sliced strawberries, walnuts and a mildly sweet cr?me anglaise. There's also a dessert sampler that's worth a try for the over-indulgent.

It's a small restaurant, but cozy all the same. The walls are painted vibrant orange and purple and covered with Islamic and modern art. Elaborate candle-lit metal lamps hang from the ceiling. The ethnic d?cor is just right and the small tables are intimate, but there is not a lot of legroom. The only downfall is less-than-attentive servers who have a tendency to hang around the kitchen together and leave customers sitting for an hour unless they are called over.

On Monday nights, wine by the bottle is half-priced, Tuesday nights feature more Moroccan specialties and there is a belly dancing show after 8:30 p.m. on Saturdays. Skewers is open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday and for brunch on Sunday. The restaurant also caters for large parties and offers an eat-on-the-run option in Caf? Luna, its sister restaurant on the lower level. Caf? Luna features more Italian dishes, but serves treats such as gazpacho, chicken parmigiana and hearty breakfasts all day long.