Chamber singers traverse time

'Across Many Centuries' featured Brahms, Mahler, Hailstork

This past weekend the American University Chamber Singers performed their concert, "Across Many Centuries." Described by conductor Daniel Abraham as a varied performance featuring classic and contemporary selections, the 21-member group sang mostly a cappella for pieces ranging from the 15th to the 21st century.

The program began with selections sung in Latin. These included a Claudio Monteverdi composition, "Cantate Dominum," and two very different interpretations of "O Magnum mysterium," each respectively by a medieval and modern composer.

After a Johannes Brahms piece led by student conductor and 2006 American University Orchestra and Aria Competition co-winner Laura Petravage, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, the choir sang some selections with biblical messages.

These pieces, "Abendlied" and "Tenebrae Responsoria V," caused mixed feelings from at least one choir member.

"'Abendlied' was my favorite to sing because it was relatively easy to learn and you can really sense the emotion coming through the dynamics and the harmonies," said Mallika Kasturirangan, a senior alto in CAS.

"The 'Tenebrae' was very difficult, though, because the harmonies were very tight, and most of us had to stretch our ranges to satisfy the divisions of the piece."

After a short intermission, Abraham introduced an arrangement of three pieces he described as a "set of sorrow." Originally this section of the concert was to end with "O Vos Omnes" by Pablo Casals, but Abraham announced to the audience before the set that the choir had collectively decided to move a Gustav Mahler song, "Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen," to the final spot in the order.

"The reason we decided to move the Mahler piece to the end was because it was so emotionally driven," said Matthew Parin, a senior tenor in the School of International Service, of the change. "Singing any of the other songs of that set after the Mahler would have lessened its impact."

The latter part of the concert featured modern short songs from New York composer Adolphus Hailstork, titled "Seven Songs of the Rubaiyat." According to the program notes, Hailstork undertook the project "as an exercise to write a series of songs on different scales." The lyrics for this 1981 collection were taken from the "Rabaiyat," a classic text by Persian poet Omar Khayyám, and may be selected and rearranged subjectively to support various readings.

Greg Kellner, an audience member, AU alumnus and former member of the chamber singers, said he was impressed with the nontraditional work.

"The seven song collection really captured the depth and breadth of this choir's abilities," Kellner said. "Listening to their rendition of these songs really proves that this group is one of the hidden treasures of this university."

The American University Chamber Singers are scheduled to perform next on Feb. 24 and 25, when they present the concert "Shakespeare in Song: Choral Settings of the Bard"