Campaigns target youth on HIV/AIDS awareness

Groups say many youth don't see HIV risks

Groups, both nationally and at AU, are using awareness campaigns to inform young people about HIV/AIDS prevention as a new study says young people in the United States are at a persistent risk for HIV infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

HEAR ME, a non-profit organization, was founded in 2004 to promote "positive health among youth and youth at-risk," according to its Web site. Since its founding, the organization has sponsored an annual story-writing contest for people between the ages of 14 and 22. The deadline to enter the contest coincides with World AIDS Day on Dec. 1, according to the HEAR ME Web site.

Christina Conde, project manager for HEAR ME, said the contest's main goals are to raise awareness about youth exposure to HIV/AIDS and to inform young people on how to prevent getting the disease.

"We want to let them know that it's not who you are, but rather what you do, that puts you at risk for catching HIV or AIDS," she said.

According to the June study, young people represented 13 percent of those diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in the United States in 2004. The CDC defines young people as anyone between the ages of 13 and 24.

According to D.C. Department of Health statistics, D.C. had an AIDS case rate of 162.4 per 100,000 people in 2002. That year, the entire United States had a case rate of 14.8.

Conde said a variety of factors lead to the rise in youth HIV/AIDS infection.

"I think there's been a lack of education about this, so there are now a lot of misunderstandings about how you get HIV/AIDS," she said. "Also, a lot of young people seem to have a sense they're invincible, that they can't get these diseases."

Several AU groups are launching projects related to HIV/AIDS awareness. Caribbean Circle is teaming up with Women's Initiative and a variety of other campus organizations to sponsor several events during Global AIDS Awareness Week from Nov. 27 to Dec. 1, The Eagle previously reported.

Women's Initiative is also working with the Student Health Center and the D.C. Department of Health to offer free HIV testing on campus, according to Ravenna Motil-McGuire, director of HIV/AIDS Outreach for the group and a freshman in the School of International Service.