Stores offer gourmet foods on college budget

One can only romanticize collegiate poverty for so long. Sure, a stockpile of Ramen noodles seems quaint in August, but once cold temperatures set in, it's time for comfort food, and that may mean shelling out some comfort dollars, too. Luckily, several D.C. stores provide delicious and fresh options for luxurious snacks and meals that only taste expensive.

Balducci's 3201 New Mexico Ave. N.W. Walking distance from campus (202) 363-5800

A short walk from AU, Balducci's is a grocery store chock full of old world foods and old world charm. While the store offers packaged groceries at top dollar, check out its bakery, deli and prepared food sections first. The prepared foods section offers a "bistro special" of one entr?e and two sides for the price of the entr?e - a feast to be had for less than $10. Stop by on Sat., Oct. 28, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to see Carmine Marzano, a top Italian chef at D.C.'s Luigino's restaurant.

CakeLove 1506 U Street N.W. Metro: U Street-Cardozo/African-American Civil War Memorial (green line) (202) 558-7100

Where can a District resident find cakes that are good enough to have been featured on "Oprah?" Only a few years old, U Street's CakeLove has already generated a buzz for its high-quality cakes and pastries. If a multi-layered wedding cake isn't on the agenda, pick up some fresh cookies, brownies, cupcakes, scones or ?clairs. These treats range from about $2 to $5 each and taste like a hug. Made-to-order cakes can range from $20 to well over $100, but remember, Oprah doesn't mess around when it comes to cake.

Cowgirl Creamery 919 F Street N.W. Metro: Metro Center (red, orange and blue lines) (202) 393-6880

San Francisco Bay Area-based dairy store Cowgirl Creamery sells a wide range of cheeses, meats, bread and wine, and D.C. is fortunate enough to have their own. Visit the store to see its seasonal cheese selection and cheese accessories, such as books, knives and cutting boards. Brush up on your cheese knowledge by browsing the Library of Cheeses at www.cowgirlcreamery.com before purchasing a few rounds for a cheese-tasting party. Lastly, be sure to add the cheese-of-the-month club to your birthday wish list.

FreshFarm Market 20th Street N.W., between Massachusetts Ave. and Q Street Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) Other locations in Foggy Bottom, Penn Quarter, H Street and Maryland (202) 362-8889

Every Sunday, farmers and producers gather at Dupont Circle's FreshFarm Market to sell their homegrown or handmade goods. This outdoor market is the perfect source for herbs or flowers to complement a meal. The market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April through December, starting an hour later January through March.

Marvelous Market 5038 Connecticut Ave. N.W. Walking distance from Tenleytown, or take any 30-numbered Metrobus toward Georgetown Five other D.C. locations (202) 686-4040

Few foods are more satisfying, or more affordable, than bread. Marvelous Market specializes in homemade breads, which they make with the most basic ingredients. Pick up a loaf or two to complement their fresh spreads and salads. For caffeine addicts with a little money to throw around, Marvelous Market sells Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee, which boasts on its Web site as the rarest and most expensive coffee in the world.

Trader Joe's 2425 L Street N.W. Metro: Foggy Bottom (blue and orange lines) (202) 296-1921 -or- 6831 Wisconsin Ave. Metro: Bethesda (red line) (301) 907-0982

With its hefty bargains and Hawaiian T-shirt-clad employees, Trader Joe's prides itself on being a "neighborhood grocery store." While the store has over 250 locations, it buys many of its products directly from producers, keeping prices low. The grocery store has a particular emphasis on organic and health foods, making it a good alternative to meals in the Tavern. Check out the L Street location for their legendary, ultra-cheap wine selection (we're talking less than $5 here) and enjoy the heady flavor of money saved.

Whole Foods 4530 30th Street N.W. In Tenleytown Other locations in Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Bethesda (202) 237-5800

At the risk of stating the painfully obvious, Whole Foods is a great source for tasty and reasonably priced meals. This organic and natural foods supermarket offers a full range of groceries, including prepared options. However, some of Whole Foods' best bargains are its raw ingredients. A small container of smoked salmon trimmings can run less than $3; spend a few dollars on a quality cheese and pair the two with a $1.99 baguette for a rich but inexpensive hors d'oeuvre.