Religion classes benefit students

A six-member Harvard University faculty committee recommended Oct. 4 that the university reinstate the requirement of a religions class for all its undergraduate students, an idea some AU students and staff embrace and others reject.

According to a Harvard University report, 94 percent of its students discuss religion with friends and 71 percent attend religious services, showing the prominent role religion plays in many students' lives.

At AU as well, many students say they feel religion is an important area that ought to be studied, especially considering current events.

Danielle Imhoff, a senior in the School of International Service, said she has a deep interest in the subject and is pursuing an interdisciplinary degree in religion.

"Being interested in international studies, religion is the crux of culture, language and humanity," she said.

A few students said they believe religion classes could be integrated into the General Education requirements through the creation of a religion-based section.

"Gen Ed should include more types of thought," said Nathaniel Goldstein, a senior in the School of Public Affairs.

"The more you know and the more you understand, the more options you have," said Valerie Goldman, a freshman in SIS. "Even in my group of friends, we talk about religion a lot"