Events to break up long weekend in D.C.

Staying in the District for Fall Break? You could use that extra day to catch up on reading and to study for midterms, or you could catch up on your local sightseeing by checking out these cool events that just so happen to coincide with a well-deserved day off.

Friday, Oct. 13

Bethesda Art Walk Bethesda, Md. 6-9 p.m. Cost: Free Over 13 of Bethesda's art galleries will be open on Friday, with paintings, sculptures and photography from local, national and international artists. A free guided tour begins at 6:30 p.m. at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Old Georgetown Road. Arts walkers can take the free Bethesda 8 shuttle from the Bethesda Metro station. Go to www.bethesda.org/arts/artswalk.htm for more information.

Capoeira Presentation Union Station 7 p.m. Cost: Free Take the Metro to Union Station to see "Brazil-U.S. Intersections," an exhibition that explains the history of Brazil's relations with the United States. Then, stop by the International Capoeira Angola Foundation's performance. Capoeira is a combination of acrobatics and martial arts movement that has been a major influence on hip-hop and breakdancing. Stop by again on Saturday at 3 p.m. for Brazilian classic guitarist Richard Miller. See www.unionstationdc.com for more information and other events.

Capital Hauntings 7:30-9:30 p.m. Cost: $10 Meet outside the McPherson Square Metro station to learn about the torrid past of Lafayette Park, including murders, suicides and eerie legends. Think of it as prep work for Halloween. Find out more about this event and others at www.culturaltourismdc.org.

"Born Again Dada" exhibit opening D.C. Arts Center 7-9 p.m. Cost: Free Check out the opening reception and remarks of "Born Again Dada," a new exhibit at the D.C. Arts Center (or DCAC) featuring work by lots of fun local artists, including adjunct SOC professor Kelley Bell.

Saturday, Oct. 14

Taste of Georgetown 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: Free to walk, $5 per tasting This Georgetown event, now in its 13th year, showcases tasty ethnic foods, jugglers, food, live music and, well, more food. Proceeds from the event go to help homeless outreach programs. Take the bus to Georgetown and get off anywhere between South Street and M Street. See www.tasteofgeorgetown.com for more information.

Art Market in Wellburn Square 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: Free This art market, located across the street from the Ballston Metro station, features pottery, photography, clothing, crafts, jewelry and more. It is open the second Saturday of each month, but this may be one of the last Saturdays when the weather is warm enough to enjoy it. Check it out at www.arlingtonarts.org/arts.

Sunday, Oct. 15

Redskins vs. Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. Cost: $50 and up Buy tickets and see the game at FedEx Field for the full experience. You can take the blue or orange lines into Maryland and then take a shuttle to the stadium. If that's too pricey, buy some chips and a foam finger, get cozy with some friends and turn on CBS.