Ellis' new 'Planetary' comic hollow departure from series

In the world of comics, one of the most creative, respected and popular writers is Warren Ellis. For years Ellis has written comics from "John Constantine: Hellblazer," for DC Comics Vertigo to "Ultimate Fantastic Four" for Marvel. Ellis also received praise for his series "Transmetropolitan," the story of an outlaw journalist named Spider Jerusalem in a future where man, aliens and other creatures live together. This week, two of Ellis' titles perfectly capture his versatility.

"Planetary #26" from Wildstorm Productions is the penultimate issue of Ellis' series about "Archaeologists of the Impossible." The team consists of Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner and the Drummer, all of whom have powers and investigate strange phenomena and superhero relics, hoping to use them for the benefit of mankind. Unfortunately a group known as The Four opposes them, and this issue covers Elijah's confrontation with the leader of the Four. Planetary fans are going to rejoice because the issue is out, signifying the moment many have waited for since 1998.

Did it live up to the hype? The truth is, it felt hollow and was more of a verbal sparring - and a boring one at that. And the big secret at the end isn't nearly as interesting as some of the other ideas Ellis has come up with in previous issues. John Cassaday's artwork is once again stunning; just looking at his spread of a spaceship in this issue makes this obvious. His rendering of an evil Earth is also probably one of the scariest things to appear in a comic.

For those following the "Planetary" series, this issue is a must. But those new to Ellis' work should check out "Nextwave #9." This issue is the complete opposite of "Planetary" in every way, shape and form. "Nextwave" is "a tale of five superheroes stopping the terrorist cell called S.I.L.E.N.T., masquerading as the Beyond Corporation from product testing WMDs on American cities. The team consists of forgotten Marvel superheroes like Boom Boom from "X-Force." In this issue they are lured to an abandoned city where they are confronted by S.I.L.E.N.T.'s leader in their upside-down city.

Ellis doesn't stop with Marvel's rejects. Even Captain America's origin is not safe when Ellis decides to have a German spy steal some of Cap's "harn" after he takes his first bathroom break. This is part of the plot and not a random gag. The cartoon-like artwork of Stuart Immonen compliments the insanity of Ellis' plot and characters. This book is a true testament to Ellis' genius and fans of Adult Swim shows like "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" and "The Venture Brothers" will love this work for its out of control zaniness.