Eco-Sense panel addresses oil dependency, politics

Club leader says oil consumption 'greatest challenge'

Those who have the money to contribute to political campaigns have a greater voice than those who do not, oil companies being one of the most powerful, according to Tyson Slocum, the director of Public Citizen's Energy Program and a panelist at a forum hosted by Eco-Sense Tuesday.

Eco-Sense hosted a panel of environmental leaders to kick off an awareness event series on reducing oil dependency and ultimately lobbying Congress for legislative action, according to Eco-Sense President Claire Roby.

"This is the challenge for our generation," said Roby. "It's time to see our senators and representatives represent our best interests, and not those of big oil."

According to Slocum the latest energy legislation provided $5 billion in subsidies to oil companies, which he said he believes is one of the leading causes of the nation's addiction to oil.

"We need to end subsidies to oil companies and transfer that money to invest in renewable and alternative energy," Slocum said. "When you've done that, you've got the building blocks for a better system."

Americans need to stop consuming so much oil and improve the oil efficiency of vehicles, Slocum said.

Dave Smedick, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said government subsidies to oil companies are a growing concern. Smedick said he plans to stay involved in Eco-Sense as well as talk to his state representatives to voice his opinion about the oil industry's role in government.

An important component to reducing oil dependency, according to all three of the panelists, is investing in alternative energy sources. According to Dr. Stephen MacAvoy, chair of the environmental studies program, AU is buying five percent of its energy from wind power and is interested in pursuing bio-fuels for campus shuttle buses.

Panelist Katie Schlieper works for Public Campaigns, an organization that works towards reforming public funding of campaigns. This form of campaign finance is popular because the public, not special interest groups, decides who wins the races, according to Schlieper.

"If it's fair to say America is addicted to oil, then it's fair to say Congress is addicted to oil's money," Schlieper said.

Eco-Sense, in conjunction with Oil Change International, will train students to lobby their senators and representatives this week. From Oct. 16 to Oct. 27, trained students will participate in constituent meetings on the Hill.

Meg Boyle, an environmental organizer from Oil Change International, said they can train students how to go about setting up appointments with their senators or representatives, who to call and the best way to communicate their concerns.