Damon, Dicaprio lift 'Departed'

The right cast can turn a good script into a great movie. Martin Scorsese's new film "The Departed" started with a cool premise, but knockout performances by its veteran actors make the film a must-see.

"The Departed" transplants the plot of a Hong Kong hit called "Internal Affairs" onto the streets of Boston. The cops order new recruit Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) to infiltrate the gang of a crime boss (Jack Nicholson). What they don't know is that the same crime boss has a prot?g? named Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) acting as a spy inside the police.

The interesting setup provides a strong backbone for the film, and lets Scorsese and his cast explore the emotions of the characters with great depth. It also allows the director to be himself and indulge in the kind of violent scenes that won him recognition in "Goodfellas."

Damon and DiCaprio are great in their opposing roles. Anyone who still doubts the capabilities of these young actors will have a change of heart by the time the credits roll. Damon, who really is from Boston, is a natural as Sullivan. And DiCaprio, not from Bean Town, shows significant range as the conflicted Costigan.

Despite their strong performances, it is the supporting cast that constantly steals scenes. It's great to see Jack Nicholson in the role of a sadistic villain once more, and the film would not be the same without his dry, dark humor. Former Calvin Klein underwear model Mark Wahlberg once more proves his worth as a serious actor, and snatches all the attention as rotten-mouthed police sergeant Dignam.

Martin Sheen provides fatherly warmth as the police chief working closely with DiCaprio and Wahlberg in the undercover division. And Alec Baldwin brings tough, excited energy about things like the merits of the Patriot Act to his role as head of the special investigators unit.

It's definitely a male-dominated cast. But Vera Farmiga holds her own as a police psychiatrist who finds herself attracted to both the cop and the rat.

Imagery is another strong point for the movie, and viewers get an intimate look at Boston, from its dark alleys and seedy theaters to its bright rooftops and warm pubs. It's hard to imagine this story could have taken place in any other city.

The soundtrack, featuring a score by Howard Shore and Irish punk by Dropkick Murphys, works to enhance the atmosphere of scenes. Even better, it is clearly edited to create emotional shifts, a detail missing in a great many movies.

"The Departed" is the first great movie of the fall and should be an Academy Award contender this February. Maybe Scorsese will finally get that Oscar.