Fans of rock band Ted Leo & the Pharmacists will be able to see a free performance today in the Tavern at 4 p.m., sponsored by WVAU and SUB.

Ted Leo plays free show in Tavern today

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists will perform in The Tavern today, Sept. 7, at 4 p.m. Student organizations WVAU and the Student Union Board (SUB) collaborated to plan and sponsor this event.

WVAU staff members' enthusiasm prompted the two student organizations to book Leo, said SUB director George Eveleth, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences. "I think everyone who's heard him likes his music," Eveleth said of Leo.

Leo, an indie rocker currently signed to Touch & Go Records, has released three full-length albums with the Pharmacists, as well as several E.P.s and solo albums. He last played D.C. in March to a sold-out show at the Black Cat and will appear in town again on Nov. 6 with Death Cab For Cutie at the DAR Constitution Hall.

Eveleth spearheaded the plans for The Tavern concert with WVAU General Manager Lara Hogan. SUB contributed its past experience dealing with agents, audio technology and campus events when WVAU asked for help.

Eveleth felt that The Tavern, with a 700 person capacity, is an appropriate size for Leo's audience and offers a "nice small club atmosphere." This marks the first time SUB sold tickets to the general public for a Tavern concert, with 350 tickets available for $10 each on Leo's official Web site.

Eveleth said that the 350 free student tickets, distributed by Student Activities since Aug. 30, were going steadily.

As for the concert's mid-afternoon, mid-week timeslot, the two student organizations chose to open The Tavern's doors at 3 p.m. to accommodate Leo's touring schedule. Eveleth believed that student turnout should be high, in spite of the time.

SUB and WVAU do not currently have any future plans to collaborate, though Eveleth added, "[WVAU's] been pretty easy to work with and I wouldn't mind working with them again"