Presenting the 2006-2007 AU Student Government

New leaders emphasize communication with students

The Student Government controls over $558,000 in students' money, which is used for purposes ranging from bringing bands and speakers to campus to advocating on behalf of students to university officials. Below are brief profiles on the members of the executive body and its cabinet to introduce you to those students whose SG salaries are funded by their fellow students.

Ashley Mushnick, SG President Class of 2007, SPA and CAS Hometown: Voorhees, N.J.

Q: What is your priority for the next year? A: Communicating to the students. Whatever the Student Government does, it's useless if no one knows about it. The Student Government is always working with the administration on great campus improvements, but rarely do the students have a clue. I won't let that happen this year.

Q: What's the one event students shouldn't miss? A: Our new November Arts Fest. We're going to have student performances, our 72-hour film contest, and a huge show in Bender Arena in one amazing week.

Q: What was the most surprising moment this summer? A: Meeting [board of trustees member] Neal Sharma, the Student Government President of 1997. He was like a god and told me stories about how much cooler Student Government used to be. He was hilarious. We have one year to impact AU, so we should go full force.

Pat McGill, SG Vice President Class of 2008, SPA Hometown: Langhorne, Penn.

Q: What is your number-one priority for the next year? A: My number-one priority is to make sure every student at AU is having fun.

Q: How can students get involved with the Student Government? A: They can run for their school or class council, the Undergraduate Senate, get involved in the executive cabinet. They could be an advocate in the Student Advocacy Center, help SUB throw concerts, help KPU bring speakers and help Eagle Nights entertain every Wednesday night. There is something for everyone. Anyone can come to our offices and find out their niche.

Q: What was the most surprising moment this summer? A: When students came back to campus. I'm thriving off this energy.

Robert Donigian, SG Comptroller Class of 2007, Kogod School of Business Hometown: Nashville, Tenn.

Q: What is your number-one priority for the next year? A: My number-one Student Government priority is to ensure that student activity funds are used in the best way possible, so that the most possible students get the most possible benefit.

Q: What's the one event students shouldn't miss this year? A: I think students should go to as many events as possible - SUB, KPU, Women's Initiative, athletics, Greek Life, clubs and everything else. Get a taste of everything; then you can slim down your interests and specialize.

Q: What was the most surprising moment this summer? A: The moment we discovered how to lower a hula-hoop as a group with our fingers!

Carrie Johnson, SG Secretary Class of 2009, SPA Hometown: Yankton, S.D.

Q: What is your priority for the next year? A: I want to recruit a more diverse group of individuals to get involved in Student Government because the only way the student body will actually be represented is if we have a wealth of perspectives and accurate representation.

Q: What's the one event students shouldn't miss this year? A: I think the Founder's Day ball will be great this year because Vice President Pat McGill is giving it a facelift and collaborating with the Residence Hall Association. It will be bigger and better than ever!

Q: What's your favorite place to eat on campus? A: I am a big fan of the Megabytes Cafe's curry dishes. They are amazing and can literally spice up a dull afternoon!

Taylor Robinson, Director of the Kennedy Political Union Class of 2008, SPA and CAS Hometown: Tucson, Ariz.

Q: What is the one event that students shouldn't miss? A: KPU kicked off the '06-'07 lecture series with our annual Capitol Steps show, but the next event will be held on Monday, Sept. 11. Secretary Norman Mineta will be discussing national security and immigration in the Kay [Spiritual Life] Center at 7:30 p.m. The one event that students shouldn't miss is KPU's November Environmental Summit.

Q: How is KPU different this year than years past? A: This year, KPU is focusing on issues and really looking for content within each program. Our fall line-up includes national security, immigration, midterm elections and the environment. Additionally, KPU's theme is "The Power of Voice." It is intended to encourage students not only to listen to the featured speakers, but to follow their lead and act on what they believe in.

Q: How can students get involved in the Student Government? A: Students can get involved in the Kennedy Political Union by joining our listserv and responding to volunteer requests, which is what the organization is based on. If interested in volunteering or learning more information, e-mail kpu@ausg.org.

George Eveleth, Director of the Student Union Board Class of 2008, SIS and CAS Hometown: Sparks, Md.

Q: How is SUB different this year compared to years past? A: SUB is different because this year I am willing to spend a little more money on fewer shows that will be of higher quality.

Q: What's the one event students shouldn't miss this year? A: The one event not to miss this year is the Bender [Arena] show on Nov. 15.

Q: How can students get involved with the Student Government? A: Students can get involved by stopping by my office, MGC 268, and learning the basics of booking bands.

Q: What was the most surprising moment this summer? A: How easy it actually was to get things done.

JoAnna Smith, Director of Women's Initiative Class of 2008, SPA Hometown: South Bend, Ind.

Q: What is your number-one priority for the next year? A: Broadening our programs and policies to reach and support a wider section of the campus community. This includes men, women, conservatives, liberals, students of all races, religions, sexual orientations, everyone.

Q: What's the one event students shouldn't miss this year? A: The Second Annual WI Breastival on Oct. 5 in the main quad. There is going to be free Potbelly sandwiches, games, prizes, a dunk tank and a variety of health and women's organizations handing out all kinds of great information. You thought last year's Breastival was great? This is going to be incredible.

Q: What was the most surprising moment this summer? A: Every time a freshman at New Student Orientation came up to me at my informational table with a whole plan to save the world by becoming a member of WI. The class of 2010 is going to rock AU.

Nick Johnson, Director of the Student Advocacy Center Class of 2007, SPA Hometown: Lebanon, Conn.

Q: What is your number-one priority for the next year? A: To get more students to utilize the improved services and resources SAC offers.

Q: What is going to be different about SAC this year? A: SAC is going to do two things much differently than in years past. One, we are going to aggressively market ourselves and, thus, have more students use our office. And two, expand the offers of SAC to include more advocacy in Academic Integrity Code disputes, financial aid and student accounts problems, help with parking tickets and appeals and any other problem students may have.

Q: How can students get the most out of SAC? A: Students need to seek out our office. Even for cases that appear as though it is open and shut, SAC can help. If SAC cannot help, we will not allow a student to leave without pointing students in the right direction.