Courtesy of SONY PICTURES ANIMATION

Predictable plot renders 'Open Season' lukewarm

Despite celebrity cast, animated feature falls short

Fans of animated features such as "Madagascar" and "The Wild" will likely experience a bit of d?j? vu while watching Sony's new release, "Open Season." The film, which comes to theatres on Sept. 29, is everything one can expect from animated movies of late: furry creatures, clever one-liners, a stacked cast and an all-too-familiar plotline.

This woodsy tale begins when the viewer is introduced to Boog, a big grizzly bear voiced by Martin Lawrence, who performs daily for live audiences alongside Beth (Debra Messing), a park ranger who keeps him as a pet in her garage.

On their way home from a long day at work, Boog and Beth have a run-in with the villainous Shaw (Gary Sinese), who has taken it upon himself to start hunting season early by "accidentally" hitting a deer with his car. While Beth and Shaw face-off, attention is turned to the poor animal tied to the hood of Shaw's car. Upon seeing the deer is still alive, Boog unties Elliot (Ashton Kutcher), setting Shaw out on his path for revenge.

Later that night, Elliot pays Boog a visit in his garage and convinces the bear to go out on the town. The ensuing damage that occurs results in Beth's decision to release Boog back into the wild where he belongs, as he is now seen as a danger to society.

Boog is now forced to survive in the wild as he attempts to find his way home again. He is accompanied, of course, by his trusty sidekick, Elliot. Along their journey, the pair meet many new furry friends. Unfortunately, they are all put in danger when Shaw, crazy with revenge, pursues Boog and Elliot. As hunting season begins, the animals must find a way to defeat Shaw and the other hunters.

It's not hard to predict the outcome. Although the movie is full of witty jokes and funny situations, the creativity is often overshadowed by the uninspired plotline. Also distracting are the uncanny similarities between Boog and Elliot's relationship and that of Shrek and Donkey (from the computer-animated classic "Shrek"). Two completely opposite personalities thrown together to overcome some looming obstacle - one is big and scary, the other small and obnoxious.

The violence in the film was at times shocking and a great contrast to the rest of the film, causing some younger viewers to begin crying and screaming. One such scene found Boog being unrelentingly chased by Shaw through a dark and stormy wood. Another discerning aspect was the use of rabbits as ammunition. The cute little bunnies were thrown repeatedly by the other animals as casually as if they were snowballs. Funny, but unnecessary.

Overall, "Open Season" is just an average kid's movie. Clever at times, scary at times and something that is enjoyable simply because there is nothing else playing.