Official Neopolitan pizzeria: a slice of authenticity

With reasonable prices and delicious food, the only thing better than one Amy is '2 Amys'

2 Amys Pizza 3715 Macomb Street N.W. (202) 885-5700 Price Range: $10-$20 per person Grade: A-

Sometimes a person needs quality pizza at a good price. More importantly, a pizza that is readily accessible and always fresh. 2 Amys Pizza is a gem among Northwest D.C. dining establishments, and it's only a short walk from AU's campus.

Tucked into an unassuming and simple storefront on Macomb Street, 2 Amys has a little bit of heaven in every slice. The first thing customers notice about the place is its simple d?cor and straightforward approach to service.

Surrounded by warm yellow walls and bold black and white tile floors, 2 Amys exudes the charm of a mid-twentieth century Italian pizzeria. The kitchen is open for all eyes to see, and the patio is a particularly pleasant place to spend a warm evening.

Wait staff are quick, well trained and always willing to go the extra mile. There is little doubt that whoever those "2 Amys" may be, they had the idea of great service at the forefront of their Neapolitan pizzeria image. It does not hurt that prices at this place are bargain basement compared to many other gourmet pizzerias.

The menu is by far most crucial part of the 2 Amys experience. First, a glance at the "Little Things" section of the menu, as well as the salads, is well worth it. There is an amazing selection of simple and elegant small appetizers and crisp, fresh salads. The deviled eggs with the green sauce are delicious, as is the simple mixed green salad.

But 2 Amys is all about pizza and choosing the perfect pie can be a difficult task when it comes to choosing from 2 Amys' many offerings. There are pizzas galore and toppings to match.

One of the most significant aspects of the 2 Amys experience is the care that goes into making each pizza. According to the menu and Web site, in 1998, the Neapolitan pizza was classified as a food "worthy of preservation" by the Italian government, which "granted it D.O.C. (Denominazione di Origine Controllata) status." This designation requires that establishments serving Neapolitan style pizza use only the legally permitted ingredients and preparation for the crust and topping.

Therefore, on 2 Amys' menu, there is a "Pizza D.O.C." section and a list of pizzas available that are not "legal" under the Italian guidelines. This is pizza made the real way.

And no matter how one eats their pizza at 2 Amys and with whom one shares it, there is always room for one of 2 Amys famous desserts. The Washingtonian, which recently named 2 Amys a D.C. "Cheap Eat," said the pizzeria has some of the best homemade ice creams and sorbets in town. The Washingtonian doesn't get it wrong, either; the homemade vanilla bean ice cream is the perfect ending to a perfect meal.

2 Amys is an amazing sensory experience. With the growing popularity comes one aspect of 2 Amys that can be frustrating and at times devastating: waiting for a table can sometimes mean standing around for an hour-and-a-half. With no reservations accepted, getting a table can be a pain in the neck.

In the end, 2 Amys wows with its high quality pizza at low prices, even if it does mean waiting a little bit longer. When pizza is this good, why not?