National Opera appeals to students

Washington National Opera has announced a "Welcome to Opera" concert on Saturday, Oct. 14, in an attempt to make opera more accessible to the young, broke college student.

Legendary opera star Pl cido Domingo will conduct favorite selections from Mozart and Puccini, and the concert will also feature singers from WNO's upcoming production of Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" and singers from the Domingo-Cafritz Young Artist Program.

This is another attempt by WNO to increase awareness and interest in opera. Their simulcast of "Porgy and Bess" last year drew 13,000 people to the National Mall. They also provide Generation O tickets at reduced prices to 18- to 35-year-olds, as well as behind-the-scenes tours, lectures and mixers for those enrolled in the program, making it very popular among students and young professionals.

The concert will start at 4 p.m. at the Kennedy Center. Tickets are $25 (with a limited number of $50 V.I.P. seats) and can be purchased by calling toll-free at 800.US.OPERA, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and online at www.dc-opera.org. People can also register for Generation O at the Web site, where registration is free.