Katzen debuts East German exhibits

Five new art exhibits by East German artists opened yesterday at the American University Museum in the Katzen Arts Center, including works from an AU alumna.

Mindy Weisel, a member of the Class of '78, reflects her identity as a child of Holocaust survivors and premiers her first exhibit in fused glass as an artist through "Words on the Journey."

Among the exhibits is "Life After Death," a collection of paintings from East German artists that combine elements of surrealism, modern art and narrative elements.

Over 100 photographs from various artists commemorate the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, a telling event of the Cold War in which a student demonstration turned into a revolution to protest Communist tyrants and Soviet control of Hungary.

"Small Wonders," an exhibit by Washington-area artist Athena Tacha, showcases her small-scale architectural sculptures. There are 15 sculptures on display made from a variety of materials, and none are higher than two feet tall. In addition, there are photo compositions featuring nature elements over time, according to the Katzen Arts Center guide.

To open the fall 2006 season at the museum, there will be a free Artists' Reception Saturday from 6 to 9 p.m., where all five exhibits will be on display. Several events featuring both the art collectors and artists contributing to these exhibits will be held at Katzen for free.

At 8 p.m. on Sept. 19 there will be a discussion about the art-collecting process with Don and Mera Rubell, contributors of the "Life After Death" and Eberhard Havekost exhibits, titled "Not Afraid: Rubell Family Collection." Director of the Rubell Family Collection and catalog essayist Mark Coetzee will lead a tour of the "Life After Death" and Havekost exhibits in "Gallery Talk with Mark Coetzee" at 4 p.m. on Sept. 30. "Words on a Journey" artist Mindy Weisel will lead a tour of her exhibit at 4 p.m. on Oct. 14.

The exhibits will run through Oct. 29 and new exhibits will open for the winter season on Nov. 14. The AU Museum is open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free.