Frankie Martin and Zach Baxter performed four songs that included the Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset."

AU concert breathes fresh air into 9/11 reflection

Students gather on Kay steps for show in association with the September Concert Foundation

Cristina Cote knows something about Sept. 11.

Cote is a lifelong resident of Manhattan and was directly affected by the horrific terrorist attacks of that day. Her apartment had to be abandoned after the nearby World Trade Center collapsed.

But that was five years ago. While the events of Sept. 11 will forever remain etched in the minds of millions around the world, some of those affected are ready to move beyond 2001 and find a greater meaning.

That's why seven months after the attacks, the September Concert foundation was established with a big idea to bring people together. According to septemberconcert.org, the organization's vision "is to mark this day as a day of music and prayers for a peaceful world year after year."

Plans to come to AU

The September Concert series has marked every anniversary of the attacks by encouraging musical venues and performers from all over New York City and the rest of the world to add their name to the growing list. Venues and performers act completely independently of the organization. By expanding the list, the September Concert Foundation hopes it can bring more and more people together each Sept. 11.

This year, the program's official operations expanded to Washington, D.C. When Cote, a sophomore in the School of Communication, heard about this development, she immediately got to work. She wanted to bring a September Concert to AU.

"I had this great vision of a concert on AU's campus to gather people together," Cote said.

Veronica Kelly, the wife of New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, is an influential part of the September Concert Foundation and Cote met her when they lived in the same building years ago.

"I got in touch with [Kelly] and we got started planning AU's event," Cote said.

Cote started by registering AU as a September Concert venue on the foundation's Web site. It was one of three September Concert venues in D.C. this year, along with the U.S. Navy Memorial and an office building at 1800 K Street N.W.

Once a designated site, it is up to the venue to decide on any musical acts that are featured. Cote called some friends and organized for a few AU musicians to perform at the casual concert held Monday on the steps of Kay Spiritual Life Center.

"It was really intended as a way for friends to gather together in a beautiful atmosphere on our quad and commemorate the day in a very unique way," Cote said.

Frankie Martin, a graduate of the School of International Service, was asked to perform at the concert.

"[Cote] told me she was organizing a remembrance concert related to 9/11 and asked if I was interested. I immediately said yes," Martin said.

Five acts were slated to perform, many without any prior knowledge of the September Concert mission.

Showtime

And so the fifth anniversary of the attacks of Sept. 11 arrived on Monday. Featuring a modest setup and no amplified sound equipment in sight, the gathering that amassed at Kay looked like any other day. But as the music began and the September Concert banner hung in the background, it was clear to the nearly 40 students gathered that there was something much more special about this day.

Around 5 p.m., most members of AU's all female a cappella group Treble in Paradise began singing the National Anthem.

"I thought it was really nice that someone had thought to do something for September 11 because it didn't seem like much was happening on campus," said Treble member Stephanie Visconti, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences. "We were happy to do it because one song could make a difference in someone's day."

Following the group was AU band Sweet Teeth. The group performed six of their songs in front of the growing crowd.

"It was fun and it looked like people were really enjoying it," said Sweet Teeth member Scott Meinke, a junior in CAS. "I thought [the performance] was really energized."

Max Rubin, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, performed three songs with his acoustic guitar. "We were really doing our part to commemorate the day," he said.

The performance of Eagle Eye Cherry's "Save Tonight" by Katie Mullins, a sophomore in SOC, and Charlie Houpert, a sophomore in CAS, had the crowd on their feet and singing along.

"I loved it. I was a little nervous, but I would do it again," Mullins said.

"Everyone was really having fun together."

Martin and friend Zach Baxter, a senior in SIS, performed last. In addition to old favorites from the Beatles and the Kinks, the duo included an original tune.

"It was exactly what it set out to be," Baxter said. "It was just a very chill atmosphere with friends hanging out in front of Kay."

Positive student reactions

Most of the audience remained for the entire show, which lasted nearly 90 minutes. The event, which had minimal advertising, even attracted the likes of ATV and the Talon, AU's yearbook.

"Overall, I thought it was very successful," Cote said.

"On a day when everyone is used to speeches and memorial ceremonies, this seemed like such a unique way to bring people together," she said.

The audience seemed to agree and responded positively to the intimate atmosphere and the unique commemorative aspects of the September Concert.

"I was not familiar with the September Concert but I loved the concept," said Madeleine Beebe, a senior in SIS.

Beebe said she was pleased at the campus response.

"It was a way for people to come together on 9/11 without being sad. Music is the ultimate form of coming together and today is a day of significant tribute. Ultimately, this was a culmination of music, remembrance and celebration," she said.

For Cote, remembering the most significant day in her life is not hard. But she does not want others to forget.

"For me, five years on, I feel a lot a better about things in terms of my healing process," she said. "Continuing to share my story is crucial to encouraging thoughtful reflection on such a poignant anniversary"