An International Show

September Concerts took place all over the world on this past Sept. 11 to recognize the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, not just here at AU. Besides the venues across both coasts of the United States, concerts were also held throughout Japan, Europe and even Ghana. In keeping with its reputation as a global university, this year AU joined ranks with:

Dushanbe, Tajikistan Added to the program shortly before the fifth anniversary, this is the first concert to have taken place in a former Soviet Republic.

London Grosvenor Square was the site of a simple concert that lasted just over an hour.

Miharu-machi, Japan Sponsored by the Miharu International Friendship Association, this concert was at one of over 20 venues in Japan.

Obuasi-Adansi, Ghana Four different acts performed at a lodge in the only concert held in any developing nation.

Rome The Piazza San Lorenzo, famous for its triangular shape, now serves as a September Concert site.

Get Involved

The September Concert Foundation was founded in April 2002 to commemorate the victims of the attacks of Sept. 11. Its growing list of volunteers and high-profile board members includes some of the biggest names in the United States today - Christy Turlington Burns, Quincy Jones and Ravi Shankar represent just a few. As the event grows each year, so too do the needs of organizers for more volunteers. Check septemberconcert.org and read below for more information.

Volunteers are needed in New York City and Washington, D.C. Contact Sister City Office or Sister City International in D.C. at (202) 347-8630 or e-mail at sveeravalli@sister-cities.org.

You can get involved in a number of ways. The September Concert Foundation needs help in fundraising, community outreach, production, sound/stage technicians, database management, volunteer coordination, messengers, people to man the telephone hotline, Web developers, photographers and videographers.

The foundation is still growing. Getting involved now means help for planning bigger events in the future.

Organizing your own venue is easy. Visit the Web site to register if you live in New York City or D.C. and get started planning for next September.

Donations are always accepted. Visit septemberconcert.org/sponsor.php for more information.