Guide to cool stores

D.C. is daunting enough as it is. With briefcase-clad interns pacing wildly across the quad and none too different littering the Metro, it's occasionally hard to remember that this is a thriving city filled with quirky delights. While separate lists are in order for cheap eats, drinks, entertainment, et cetera, this is a by-no-means-comprehensive look at some of the places that we at The Eagle wish we had discovered when we were just starting out here. That's right, we've done all the work for you.

Go Mama Go!, Home Rule, Pulp, Pop 1809 14th St. N.W. Metro: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green line) http://www.gomamago.com

Between the flashy home d?cor offerings of Go Mama Go! and Home Rule, the cute cards and trinkets at Pulp and the moderately priced local designs of Pop, your dorm room, the letters home and all of your outfits can be adequately supplied by this trifecta of retail goodness (it's a trifecta because Pop is on top of Pulp, OK?) The prices are about whatever you'd expect at a cute and quirky little shop so don't go to any of these expecting it to be like Costco. But do come here the next time one of your friends really wants a sushi set or a slammin' necklace for their birthday.

Kramerbooks & Afterwords Caf? 1517 Connecticut Ave. N.W. Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) http://www.kramers.com

Isn't that cute? A bookstore named their adjoining caf? "Afterwords?" So you can do some reading, a little browsing and then have an "after words" ('cause books contain WORDS?!) snack. That's the mark of a true business right there. That and the Afterwords menu, which contains disgustingly endearing appetizers called "sharezies" and decently priced (for D.C.) cocktails. Yeah, yeah, books are cool, blah blah blah, where is the nearest brownie sundae? For literate binge-eaters, this place is a haven.

Montgomery Farm Women's Co-op Market 7155 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda, Md. Metro: Bethesda (red line) http://pages.montgomerycountymd.com/events/montgomery_market.htm

A self-described "authentic indoor country market in the heart of Bethesda," this market is like a weird little diamond in the rough. On Wednesdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. 'til 3 p.m., the carpet, jewelry and really weird picture frame vendors roll out the finest goods and wait for the shoppers to arrive. And they totally do. The market is actually outdoors most of the time and strongly resembles a small-scale flea market. Inside is a ton of awesome produce. You literally never know what you'll find here. Plus, the history of the co-op is pretty cool, with a bunch of struggling farm women banding together to make the world a better place. Power.

The Mustard Seed 7349 Wisconsin Ave., Besthesda, Md. Metro: Bethesda (red line) (301) 907-4699

So when you're done scouring the co-op market down the street, you can scour a little less hard at the sometimes-vintage but mostly just unique boutique store, The Mustard Seed. You know that scene in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" where the girls find the magic jeans at some store in their little wholesome town? Yeah, that town is modeled after Bethesda, and that store is modeled after the Mustard Seed. No lie. Maybe you can experience such magic yourself, sans Rory Gilmore.

Companions Pets 1626 U St. N.W. Metro: 20-minute walk from Dupont Circle (red line) (202) 797-3663

This is the weird little pet store you might pass by while stumbling from Adams Morgan to the U Street corridor. It's got a huge red overhang and looks mildly dingy from the front, with inviting neon lights and handmade signs. You walk by and probably wonder what on earth sort of pets could be found in such a place. Tarantulas or something. Actually, Companions not only has the weirdest reptile selection, but also the cutest bunny selection. And guinea pigs. And other little friends. The staff has no problem letting you cuddle with a hamster for 25 minutes, because this is also the place that a lot of really beefy dudes bring their pit bulls, so they've got other things on their mind.

Oya's Mini Bazaar 2420 18th St. NW. Metro: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan (red line) (202) 667-9853

There really is something appealing about the kind of retail outlet that features a bunch of random crap ripe for the sifting. While 18th Street has a serious wealth of options when it comes to just about anything regarding money-spending, the bazaars sandwiched between the Jumbo Slice eateries and dive bars haunted by frat guys are actually pretty great. Found at Oya's once was a positively mind-bending velvet painting of Mick Jagger. That's right.

Wonderland Bar & Grill 1111 Kenyon St. N.W. (202) 232-5263 Metro: Columbia Heights (green line) Open 5 p.m. till 2 a.m.

Wonderland Bar & Grill is worth the extra effort and timing it takes to find it. The food is cheap (a relative term in D.C.) and heavy on the flesh. The sausages are especially fine and hot dogs do the trick when you're feeling a little juvenile. The salads are kind of a joke and all have meat on them, which is actually a bonus. The only kicker is that you gotta get there before 9 p.m., which is when they commence a rigorous ID check for anyone under 21. So, if you're underage and get to Wonderland after 9, you'll have to leave knowing that a world of hipster dancing, Ms. Pac-Man and meaty treats waits for you just past a burly bouncer named Bruce. Bummer.