Freshmen volunteered at the Emergence Community Arts Collective.

Freshmen volunteer in city

Largest group of AU Students contribute over 13,000 hours of service during annual welcome week event

Over 500 freshmen spent an estimated total of 13,000 hours volunteering in D.C. communities last week during the annual Freshman Service Experience.

FSE matches groups of freshmen with upperclassmen leaders to explore the city through community service. This year's activities ranged from playing with children at the New Community Church to preparing communications at the National Breast Cancer Coalition. Inspired by this year's goal of knowing D.C. through "service, the senses and scholarship," 44 teams of freshmen completed various community service tasks from Aug. 21-24.

"The students have done a great job under sometimes adverse conditions and intense heat, and we know their work is much appreciated," said Mary Fink Campos, the director of the Community Service Center.

Many students said they became involved with FSE as a way to meet new classmates and get involved in their new hometown.

Melissa Safford, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, helped refurbish the aged windows in the library of a disability support home.

"It is a good way to get out in D.C. and see different organizations," Safford said. She said she hopes to continue volunteering throughout her time at AU.

At Bancroft Elementary, a bilingual elementary school with 98 percent of its students qualifying for low-income free lunch, another team of AU students dug holes to encourage water to drain into a "rain garden," a former cement playground transformed into a system that cleans storm water.

"They've been such good sports," said Iris Rothman, the school's coordinator of the garden project. "They have not complained."

Evening programs furthered the program's cultural aim, as live music and theater performances on campus introduced the eclectic sounds of D.C. to students.

Led by Regie Cabico and the band Tri-Flava, Sol y Soul filled the Kay Spiritual Life Center at FSE's kick-off event with a collage of music, monologue and slam poetry.

Cabico, an actor-turned-slam poet, delved into topics as various as racial identity and sexuality in his expressive monologues, backed up Tri-Flava's music.

Ira Hillman, the chief operating officer of the National Breast Cancer Coalition, told FSE participants to pursue their passions.

"Whatever you care passionately about - health, art, education - there are jobs out there that need your help," Hillman said.

Campos said she hopes FSE helped students make new friends, learn about their communities and get excited to "continue their involvement through the great array of opportunities for community service offered on campus"