Vote Dobson-Santorum in '08

Let's conduct a thought experiment: let's imagine that radical right-wing conservatives actually got their way, and every one of their proposals immediately became law. What would America look like?

First we have to acknowledge that even the notoriously-lockstep evangelical and conservative Catholic movement is not a monolith. As example, for the first time in as long as anyone can remember, attentive liberals have reason to pay their respects to Senator Sam Brownback, of all people, after he rejected the extremist positions of the House and (semi-courageously) helped get the Senate immigration compromise out of committee. Many Catholics also diverge from evangelicals on issues such as the death penalty and evolution. But let's remember, we are not talking about mainstream Catholics here. Ardent Bush supporters, readers of "Crisis" magazine, and those who pushed for entry into the Iraq War (which the Pope condemned) are not the majority of the world's Catholics. The voting block I am referring to-who in this simulation have consolidated their power to the point where no filibuster or moderate Justice can stop their legislative agenda-take a literal or near-literal interpretation of the Bible, believe that God and George W. Bush can commune directly (certainly not a mainstream Catholic notion), and realize that unfortunately every non-Christian on earth is going to Hell.

Back to the thought experiment. First, abortions would be illegal. Straight-up, flat out illegal, even in cases of rape or incest, in every state in the Union, and punishable by five, ten, or more years in prison (particularly for the medical staff that help with the procedure). Organizations like Planned Parenthood would be closed, condom access and education would be restricted, and abstinence only programs (miracles of efficacy that they are) would become the norm. HIV, Syphilis, and Chlamydia? Who cares, condoms can't stop HPV (genital warts), so they are useless.

Second, homosexuals might as well leave the country. Honestly, groups like the Family Research Council (sponsors of "Justice Sunday", and a powerful lobbying force in the Republican Party) have done more than push for bans on gay marriage, gay adoption, gay visitation rights, etc. They have repeatedly asked for a re-instatement of sodomy laws, which the Supreme Court overturned in 2002. Remember, those laws apply to more than just homosexuals; until 2002, oral sex was technically illegal in South Carolina. And with President Santorum in charge, you know sodomy would top the list of enforcement priorities.

Now let's get into the really important stuff. Christian conservatives often claim that prayer is banned in school. This is nonsense, of course, but with them in charge, it would now have a mandatory time and be lead by the teacher. Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists, agnostics, etc.? They'll come around. Faith based organizations would begin receiving the lion's share of funding for social assistance, and restrictions on proselytizing would be lifted. Evolution would be exposed as the lie it is, and thrown out of the classroom (incidentally nullifying all empirical biological science. But that's ok; no right-wing Republican has ever needed penicillin). Embryonic stem cell research-clearly a dead-end-would be given up and all data handed to South Korea.

The US would pull out of the United Nations, due to their unacceptable positions on abortion rights and their possible involvement in the coming Apocalypse. Tax cuts (which are, of course, "pro-family") would continue unabated, and to compensate for the huge budget deficits Congress would cut wasteful spending on things like PBS and the arts (47% of all federal expenditures). Bush's "Emergency" Plan for AIDS Relief-the data for which has been classified-basically conforms to Christian values, so that at least would stay.

Displays of the Ten Commandments, crucifix's, nativity scenes, and just about anything up to and including Passion Plays would not only be welcome on public property, they would be subsidized with public funds. So too would private, religious schools, which in rural communities means Christian schools. Again, if Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc. didn't want their money going to these things, they should have picked a different country to live in.

Perhaps you think this little experiment has been an exaggeration? Consider this: the last message I received from the FRC (I'm on their listserv) condemned immigrants for violating US laws, called for a ban on the morning after pill, and accused Governor Tim Kaine of not being "pro-family" because he dared question Virginia's anti-gay marriage initiative. And last week's message was pretty tame. FRC events have been attended by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Chief Justice John Roberts, and of course, President George W. Bush. It really is too bad liberals (and other rational adulduts) won't get out of the way and let Tony Perkins, James Dobson, and Jerry Falwell run the country.

Forrest Dunbar is a senior in the School of International Service.