Organization encourages resident involvement

D.C. Appleseed, a nonprofit organization that focuses on solving important public policy problems in the D.C. metropolitan area, is holding a contest to compile new public policy input from D.C. area residents, according to their Web site, dcappleseed.org.

Josh Levinson, the deputy director of D.C. Appleseed, said they began the contest because they "wanted to come up with a way to get residents' viewpoints heard by public officials."

The organization plans to compile the submissions into a booklet to distribute to the government officials and politicians campaigning for the local Sept. 12 elections.

According to Levinson, D.C. Appleseed will take submissions at solvinDCproblems.com until May 5. They will then post the finalists for two weeks for the public to vote, and the top three submissions receive prizes.

The first place prize is $5,000, the second place is $2,500 and third place is $1,000.

The three finalists will question the mayoral candidates on June 8, Levinson said. Their book of the summarized and synthesized entries is projected to be complete by July 4 to distribute to the local candidates before the election.

AU students should follow the D.C. mayoral race, the D.C. at-large council seat, council chair seat and the president of the D.C. school board races, Levinson said.

Levinson said he feels that local politics are just as important and relevant to university students as D.C. residents.

"All students who are studying in the city, just like residents, have observations about how the city is run, opportunities for recreation, economic development or observations about the new stadium by the Anacostia," he said, "Everyone who lives or works here will encounter things they don't like or want to improve. Students would have constructive suggestions to improve life."

Lisa Petak, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and the outreach director for the College Democrats, said she believes student involvement in local politics is very important.

"I think D.C. politics, for a D.C. student, is highly educational," she said. "Some students will participate in local campaigns for some hands-on experience, but it is not enough. More people need to use their political science studies for what they're worth and get some hands-on training."

Curtis Gans, director of the Center for the Study of the American Electorate in SPA, said he also believes students should be involved in local politics.

"This is a good year for students to get involved because there is going to be a new mayor, and if they have strong feelings about what the mayor can do, by participating in the elections they can make a large difference," Gans said.

If the university student population were included as D.C. residents, they would make up a large percentage of the District's population, Levinson said.

"It is really important that their observations or perceptions are passed on to city officials," he said. "That's what we are trying to do with this project."

AU students will benefit from the development of the city, access to affordable housing, public safety, gun control and environmental issues, Levinson said.

To register to vote in D.C., Levinson said students should go to solvingDCproblems.com to register their D.C. address as their home address. However, they cannot be registered voters in two states.

Petak encouraged students to help with the upcoming elections.

"There are city council races, a mayoral race and school board races to help out with," she said. "We're students, and we're either free or cheap labor - we are in demand"