Dennis Quaid is president and Hugh Grant is a TV show host in this satire of American politics and popular culture.

'American Dreamz' funny, but a little too close to reality

If President Bush and "American Idol" are the first two thoughts that pop into your head when asked "What's wrong with America?" then "American Dreamz" is for you.

"American Dreamz" pokes fun at the Bush regime, exaggerating its flaws and combining it with America's favorite search for a superstar, "American Idol." The movie opens with President Staton (Dennis Quaid) reading a newspaper for the first time. Realizing the value of this new medium, he holes himself up in his room, consuming volumes of newspapers. Vice President Sutter (William Dafoe) books the president on the hit show "American Dreamz" to help the commander in chief's image. The show, hosted by Martin Tweed (Hugh Grant), is the top rated show in America. Things gets interesting when self-centered singer Sally Kendoo (Mandy Moore) and reluctant terrorist Omer (Sam Golzari) compete for the top spot.

There's little more to "American Dreamz" than its simplistic story. The movie is a long satire with little purpose then to ridicule the president and American culture. Now and then a few meaningful lines are uttered but they come across as corny and out of place. While making fun of the president is far from original, the movie does a good job of it.

The president's stupidity is taken to an extreme, forcing him to rely on an earpiece to know what to say. The vice president's domineering control is also exaggerated, portraying him as the manipulative father figure to the president. This relationship spurs most of the story during the film.

The light tone of the movie begins with the cartoony opening credits. The situations in the movie play out like a cartoon as well, showcasing unreal situations and stereotypical characters. The contestants on "American Dreamz" include a grunge rocker, an African American diva, a Jewish rapper and a Clay Aiken-style character. The only believable character is the egotistical Tweed, who does not care about anything except himself and his show.

All of the acting is exceptional, creating comical stereotypes and caricatures. Hugh Grant does a wonderful job of portraying a spoiled rich bastard, while Dennis Quaid pulls off an exaggerated Texas drawl. Even Mandy Moore plays a believable aspiring star that will do anything to succeed.

The attention to detail also adds a lot to the movie. The show "American Dreamz" copies its "American Idol" counterpart almost exactly, from the scorching comments of Hugh Grant to the unbearable group song. Sometimes this can be too real though, crossing the line between satire and accurate portrayal.

Entertaining would be the best word to describe "American Dreamz." There are very few laugh-out-loud moments, with most of the comedy found in the situation the characters are in. The movie moves slowly in the beginning, waiting for the situations to build up toward the middle.

"American Dreamz" is a fun, modern day satire that is worth seeing on a rainy day. It doesn't break any new ground but still provides more than enough entertainment.