Sports briefs

Lacrosse loses close match at Richmond

No. 9 Richmond clipped the visiting AU women's lacrosse team Wednesday, 10-8.

The Eagles led 8-7 midway through the second half when sophomore midfielder Chelsea Kapp scored her third goal of the match. But the Spiders (6-2) rattled off three unanswered goals to secure the win.

The teams traded leads four times, and the Spiders never led by more than two goals.

AU trailed 2-0 just one minute into the game before coming back.

Kapp's three goals led AU (3-5).

Trio of victories in outdoor's debut

Three Eagles won events Saturday at the Shamrock Invitational in Conway, S.C., as the AU track and field teams began the outdoor season.

Seniors Keira Carlstrom and Zaia Wharton picked up top finishes in distance races. Carlstrom placed first in the 1-mile run, clocking in at four minutes 50.13 seconds. Wharton won the 1,500-meter run in 4:32.19.

Freshman Carlos Jamieson got a victory in his outdoor debut, crossing the finish line in 3:51.84 to win the 1,500 for the men.

Junior Brendan Fennell (mile) and sophomore Brian McCabe (3,000) earned second-place finishes for AU. Sophomore Kris Cruz placed one spot behind McCabe for third in the 3,000.

Junior Dustin Emrani was AU's top sprinter at the event, finishing third in the 400 in 48.88 seconds.

Sean Duffy, a two-time All-American who ended his AU career last spring, won the mile as an unattached runner to beat Fennell by nearly 12 seconds.

Men's tennis falters at College of Charleston

The AU men's tennis team fell, 5-2, at College of Charleston on March 16.

The Eagles (4-6) earned their singles points after three-set battles. Junior Jeffrey Schnell rebounded after dropping his first set to beat Ashok Ramachandra, 2-1 (2-6, 6-4, 10-3). Junior Andrew Singer topped Perry Allen, 2-1 (6-3, 2-6, 6-3).

College of Charleston (12-1) won all three doubles matches.

Golfers begin season in Georgia

Peter Chang finished 48th and Billy Lacey finished 59th in the AU golfers' season-opener at the Geico Direct Spring Invitational in Savannah, Ga., on March 13.

Chang, a sophomore, shot +27 on the 72-par course at Hunter Golf Club. The freshman Lacey was +44 at the tournament, which had a 62-man field.