Highlights and lowlights of Oscar night

While everyone knows that the Oscars only really matter to film geeks (and anyone who's ever has won), there's something inside that still would love to one day walk up those steps and say: "I'd like to thank the Academy." Come on, everyone dreams. Yet each year, there are screw-ups, stunners and surprises that should be take noted. After all, who wants end up on the worst dressed list in a few years?

Best Less-Important-Award Moment The filmmakers from "Wallace and Gromit" are amazing. They were both wearing ridiculously large, striped bow ties and brought matching mini ones up for their respective Oscars. Oscar has always needed a makeover ... or at least any clothes whatsoever.

Best Slightly Overrated Moment The performance of "In the Deep" by Kathleen "Bird" York featured dancers interpretively acting out scenes from "Crash," complete with a flaming car. However, host Jon Stewart got it right when he said that people escaping from burning cars shouldn't do it in slow motion. The whole performance seemed a little much, what with the low lighting and over-the-top dances. The song would probably have been more powerful without the pomp.

Best Jewish Joke While Stewart's comment about Itzhak Perlman's posse and the Three 6 Mafia having a driedel-off was choice, Stewart's address to Steven Spielberg topped everything. Stewart pointed out two of the director's most famous films, "Schindler's List" and the recent "Munich," which garnered a few nominations. Stewart then said, "I think I speak for all Jews when I say I can't wait to see what happens to us next. Trilogy!" The crazed look on his face when he shouted the last part made it so worth it.

Celebrity with the Worst Balance Jennifer Garner, of TV's "Alias," walked confidently down the Oscar stage before stumbling, practically skidding a bit farther and then regaining her footing. She chuckled, curtsied and said with a grin, "I do my own stunts." Despite this would-be embarrassing moment, she made the best of the situation. Not bad for a woman who had a baby three months ago and already has returned to work - even if she did marry Ben Affleck.

Worst Outfit Although many people disagree, Jessica Alba's dress wasn't great. She is landing on a lot of the best-dressed lists already, and yes, from the top up she did look beautiful. She even looked good from the bottom down. But that's where the positives stop. Combined, the two parts of her dress ruined the whole thing. The gold tones of each didn't quite match and the same can be said for the textures of the two pieces. It just didn't work. So good effort, but yeah, not quite.

Worst Trend Other than Alba, there really weren't any risks taken or mistakes made on Sunday. Everyone stayed safe, and it was disappointing. Wardrobe-wise, everyone chose black or white: Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, Felicity Huffman, Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Weisz, Ziyi Zhang and Queen Latifah. It was really boring. Celebrities like Keira Knightley, Salma Hayek and Michelle Williams were the ones that stood out with color. All of these women looked amazing (especially Kidman and Knightley); the first group just didn't take it to the next level. And how can an Academy Awards show go by without fashion risks? Cher, anyone?

Best George Clooney Moment Clooney seemed to be the most magnetic star of the night on Sunday. He had three nominations, a part in the opening montage and mentions in acceptance speeches. But the best moment came in his own acceptance speech, when Clooney accepted the first award of the night, for Best Supporting Actor in "Syriana."

His first comment was, "Wow, alright, so I'm not winning director." He then said that this title of Oscar-winner sticks with an actor for his whole life. "Oscar winner George Clooney, the Sexiest Man Alive 1997, Batman, died today in a freak accident," he joked. Who knew that People Magazine's elusive title of Sexiest Man Alive was so important to Clooney?