Cartoons: all sides suffer from ignorance

As a student planning to travel to Copenhagen next fall, I read the articles regarding the Danish cartoon reactions around the world with great curiosity. These types of outbursts and rioting are something I have never heard of or seen before. It reminds of the stories I've heard regarding the images that came back from Vietnam. The pictures and videos that the media exposed shocked and appalled the American public. I have a similar reaction to these protests. The images of the rioters burning flags, shooting guns and being constantly angry at the West are violent, fascinating, repulsive and frustrating.

I have watched as the violence has escalated and communication between Western democracies and the radical Islamists has deteriorated. The glaring problem that is fanning the flames of this conflict is the lack of understanding between the two cultures. Two cultures who are perceived to be complete opposites in everything they stand for.

There seems to be a very limited understanding on both sides of the others cultural, religious and political beliefs. The Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten ,may not have intended to incite violence or wreak havoc. They were working under their understandings of freedom of the press. They could not have expected such a response. And then radical Islamic culture does not understand that freedom of the press is a foundation upon which Western culture stands. Many Middle Eastern countries are ruled by regimes which do not support freedom of expression and freedom of the press.

In a February 16th Washington Post article by Anthony Shadid and Kevin Sullivan, they quote Hashim Balkhy's response to the cartoon, "They do not know our prophet," he recalled his thinking, " and they can't get away with this." Instead of civil discourse or an alternative form of communication to translate to the West the meaning, belief and teachings of Muhammad, which I would say, average Western citizens have little knowledge of, the subsequent riots and fatalities have not been positive representation or way of communicating.

And when the rioters are chanting "Death to America! Death to Denmark! Death to Democracy!" They are not allowing themselves to open themselves to understand our values and liberties. Besides that, their slogans don't invite diplomatic actions either. Also, Denmark does not equal the United States, and yet, America has been included in these violent chants. The rioters group together all Western democracies as being the same, not allowing for separation between countries and their policies.

By boycotting Danish products, which some radical Islamists are doing, what are they achieving? Balkhy was also quoted as saying, "We had accomplished something." But had they? Are we any more knowledgeable about their culture or vice versa?

How can we bridge this cultural-communication gap? And when we do look for answers from more moderate Muslims, they separate themselves from the radical rioters. So in the end, the questions are left unanswered and we are still as uninformed as were in the beginning. Europe and America continue to defend their press and the rioters continue to riot, so where is the end?

Also, as a result, there is an automatic lack of understanding. This division is fertile ground for ignorance and exclusion. If we continue to treat radical Islamic people as untamable and out-of-control and view ourselves as superior in our values and freedoms, we close ourselves off to reaching common ground. And perhaps this hope of intercultural communication is too idealistic and naive. Because in reality, it probably is. But it is also the fundamental obstacle that we need to overcome. This conflict is a glaring reality depicting the severe disconnect. Both sides are tragic victims of unresolved ignorance.

Emily Freifeld is a sophomore in the School of Communications.