Study shows recent college grads unprepared for jobs

AU career center offers students chance to perfect their resumes and interviewing skills

A recent study reported that many college graduates do not feel prepared for job interviews, according to www.collegenews.com. However, American University offers its students the use of the Career Center to perfect their resumes and interviewing skills.

While it may be difficult for recent grads to land jobs, Francine Blume, Director of Experimental Education at the Career Center, said this does not have to be the case for AU grads.

"At the Career Center, we help students with resumes, cover letters, thank-you notes and mock interviews," said Blume. "We help you create a 30-second pitch for yourself to give to prospective employers."

Blume said the Career Center has 6,000 appointments a year, and about half of these are students coming in for the first time. Of those who have visited, seniors and sophomores are the majority with 25 and 22 percent respectively. Juniors who have made appointments represent 15 percent, while freshmen are eight percent.

"We want freshmen to come in so that we can make long-term plans for them over the next four years," Blume said.

Students from certain schools frequent the Career Center more than others. Students from the School of International Service and the School of Public Affairs have the most appointments with 30 and 21 percent respectively

"We hear from employers all the time," Blume said. "They can tell who has had their resume critiqued and who hasn't. They can tell who is comfortable with interviews and who isn't prepared."

Students can make appointments with career advisors online or by phone. The Career Center also has events throughout the semester to help students prepare for interviews or find internships. After four years at AU, 80 percent report having an internship during their time at college.

Students have mixed feelings about the Career Center.

"The Web site is helpful, and I had my resume critiqued," said Tara Cole, a senior in the School of Communication. "But when you go to school in D.C., its better to rely on your D.C. connections to find an internship or job than on the Career Center."

Hiromi Murashige, a senior in SOC and an international student from Tokyo, found the Career Center useful.

"I didn't know how to write a resume because I'm from Japan, so the Career Center helped me with that," Murashige said.

Murashige is also going to New York City for the New York Career Forum sponsored by the Career Center to meet possible future employers.

Blume said students need to be proactive when it comes to securing interviews and internships.

"There was a time when the economy was such that 60 percent of the internships were paid and students just had to be breathing to get them," Blume said. "Times have really changed, and even unpaid internships can be very competitive. Preparing with an advisor at the Career Center makes a big difference"