SIS welcomes more summer 2006 programs

New summer programs introduced by the School of International Service offer students the opportunity to earn credit and expand their knowledge in a particular area by studying in Washington D.C. or a foreign country.

The SIS Summer 2006 Institutes expanded their program to include destinations to New Mexico, Italy, South Africa and Northern Ireland, and also extended its Malaysia program

SIS Dean Louis Goodman said there are many incentives for students majoring in SIS and non-SIS majors to participate in these summer study programs.

"Students can get course credits. They are exposed to different cultures and different experiences under the guidance of SIS faculty mentors," Goodman said. "These programs also give students as much choice to complete their education. We really want our students to get broad educational experiences around the world."

This year's D.C. summer institute topics include Human Rights in the 21st Century, Intercultural Management, Peacebuilding and Development, Identity in Practice, Contemplative Sustainable Design and Public International Law and Policy's Skills Institute. The programs are directed by SIS faculty and are anywhere from one to three credit classes.

Courses in international communication, international development, and international peace and conflict resolution are entirely unique to AU, and the first of their kind in a United States university, each program specifically designed by SIS faculty members.

Jeremy Koss, a sophomore in the Kogod School of Business, studied abroad in a language intensive program offered through AU Abroad in Montreal, Canada last summer.

He said there were several benefits of studying abroad. "For me there was no other option other than an immersion and lessons from a country that speaks it because I couldn't seem to learn French here. I feel that I did learn to speak it though."

For students interested in studying abroad this summer, some of the program topics include Italy's "Integrating Europe in a Changing World" and Northern Ireland's "Conflict Resolution Methods and Skills."

All of these study abroad institutes are three to six course credits each and SIS faculty members serve as the program directors.

"These are all very exceptional programs, with very good faculty, in places that are fascinating to visit," Goodman said. "In the past, students have had really good experiences."

AU Abroad also includes semester-long study abroad options worldwide. Allison Redisch, a senior in SIS, spent a semester in the Andes to the Rainforest Program in Santiago, Chile.

"First of all, my Spanish certainly improved -- my host family didn't speak English and all of my classes were in Spanish," Redisch said. "Plus, I had amazing experiences...to travel around South America."

Pete Schertel, a junior in SIS, studied abroad in the Prague Humanities program.

"I feel that the greatest benefit I got out of studying abroad was getting the opportunity to live in another country," he said. "By living in the Czech Republic I was exposed to a different culture and society and for me, I was changed very much by the experience."

To learn more information about SIS's Summer 2006 Institutes visit their website at: http://www.american.edu/sis/summer/. The deadline for submission is February 15 for Partner programs and March 1 for enclave programs.