National briefs

Metro revamps 'Doors closing'

The new voice of the Metro will soon serenade riders with an updated rendition of the familiar "doors closing" after a contest chose Randi Miller, a 44-year-old real estate manager, according to The Washington Post.

Miller will record new voice messages for the Metro system, which are to be played 33,017 times per day across the rail network, according to The Post.

"We liked her sound. She has great pipes," Doris McMillion, one of the contest judges, told The Post.

Metro held the contest to replace the current recording, which they felt had become stale since it was recorded in 1996.

Craigslist charges fees for real estate ads

New property listing fees will be imposed on New York City Craigslist users starting March 1, according to The Washington Post.

The $10 fee will be imposed in order to reduce repeat listings. Repeat listings are posted to give the property a prominent space on Craigslist, since the most recently listed items appear at the top of the page.

Craigslist currently receives 600,000 real estate listings per month but wishes to cut that by 90 percent, using the fee.

Also being considered are fees for job listings in Washington D.C., San Diego, Boston and Seattle, which are a few of the biggest Craigslist markets. Currently, employers must pay to post jobs in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York City.

There are no plans to charge for posting to any other categories on the site.

ABC creates 9/11 miniseries

ABC television network is developing a mini-series based on September 11 and the events leading up to the attacks, according to The Washington Post and Variety Magazine.

The series will star Harvey Keitel as John P. O'Neill, AU class of '74. O'Neill, who died in the attacks, was head of World Trade Center security, and was former head of the FBI's New York City counterterrorism division.

He was involved with the 1993 World Trade Center bombing investigation, the TWA 800 crash probe and the Oklahoma City bombing manhunt for Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, according to a New York Times article about him.

Shooting for the six-hour series began shooting in Toronto last July, with plans to air it before the end of this year's television season, said Variety.

Georgetown student to go to prison

Georgetown sophomore Donte Smith will serve 90 days in a federal prison and pay a $500 fine for scaling a U.S. military base security fence at a protest last November, The Hoya reported Friday.

The protest at Fort Benning, Ga, was an act of civil disobedience according to Smith, who was jailed immediately after the protest. Georgetown also suspended him for one year, and recently began considering him for dismissal from the university.

Fort Benning houses The School Of The Americas, a training facility for foreign military and law enforcement personnel. The school has come under fire previously after alumni were accused of human rights violations.

Smith told the Hoya he will likely serve his time in Maryland or a federal prison closer to his home in Texas.

U.S.S. Cole mastermind escapes

The man convicted of coordinating the U.S.S. Cole terrorist attack in 2000 escaped from a Yemeni prison yesterday, The New York Times reported.

Jamal al-Badawi, along with 12 other convicted terrorists, escaped from the prison via a tunnel dug by the prisoners.

Interpol, an international police force, said the men pose a great danger to the world, especially if they go back to their home country,

The United States previously held al-Badawi outside of the U.S., while Yemen tried him in his absence.