Make sure you have...

For the last-minute minded among us, a quick reminder: Valentine's Day is Tuesday. Whether you're single or taken, and even if you think V-Day is simply a Hallmark-engineered scheme to sell tons of candy and greeting cards, it never hurts to send a little TLC in the direction of those who deserve - or just could use - it. So make some reservations and do a bit of creative shopping, and happy Valentine's Day from everyone at The Scene!

Romantic restaurants

Love Caf? and Cakelove Corner of 15th and U streets, NW (202) 588.7100 www.cakelove.com You may think you've had cake, but if you've never had a slice o' heaven from Cakelove's from-scratch bakery, you haven't really lived. Love Caf? serves up coffee and delectable Cakelove selections right across the street - not to mention serving up an unbeatably cozy atmosphere.

Filomena's 1063 Wisconsin Ave., NW (202) 338-8800 Aside from the cheesy decorations, this Georgetown staple has great food and the tuxedoed waiters will certainly impress your date. Try the Fusilli di Carrado or the Pollo alla Parmigan. Don't miss their incredible desserts!

The Melting Pot 1220 19th St., NW (202) 857-0777 Sit for hours and gaze into the eyes of your sweetheart over a pot of fondue. If you choose to have all four courses (cheese, salad, entr?e, desert), the meal is the perfect length to romance each other. Everything here is good, and if you're a cheese lover, try the cheese fondue course.

Mon Ami Gabi 7239 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda, Md. (301) 654-1234 The ingredients: It's French, it's Metro accessible, it's right next to a movie theatre and the steak frites are tr?s bons! This is the perfect recipe for a fabulously romantic night.

Last-minute Valentine's Day gift ideas

For her:

Flowers Whole Foods in Tenleytown has a great selection and reasonable prices for beautiful blooms that will make her smile. Go for something original, like Gerber Daisies, instead of the clich? roses.

Jewelry If you've got some money to burn, try Tiffany's in Friendship Heights, since of course every girl wants that little blue box. For those on a shoestring, there are many other places to get beautiful jewelry, like Banana Republic down the street. She'll love it because you picked it out.

Cake Skip the box of chocolates from CVS and be unique. Stop by Balducci's on New Mexico Avenue and get your gal a box of heavenly baked treats, or try your hand in the kitchen and make your own. She'll be impressed either way.

For him:

Framed photo of the two of you: No explanation necessary.

iPod: Between the Nano and the Shuffle, you're sure to find something in your budget which he'll love. Make sure to gift him a sultry Barry White album from iTunes to go with it.

Boxers: Get something with hearts at J. Crew or the Gap to get him in the Valentine's Day mood. He'll think of you every time he wears them!

Movies to rent

"The Notebook" (2004) Directed by Nick Cassavetes, starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams The movie's tagline, "Behind every great love is a great story," says it all. Just make sure you have the tissues ready for both of you.

"The American President" (1995) Directed by Rob Reiner, starring Micheal Douglas and Annette Bening He plays President, she plays lobbyist. Thus, plenty of SPA students will be forming a line outside Hollywood video for this later tonight, so you'd best try another store. Go.

"Dirty Dancing" (1987) Directed by Emile Ardolino, starring Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze Few things are better than heading to summer camp and falling in love with a hunky dance teacher. After watching this movie, feel free to debate who'll be putting Baby in the corner.

"Never Been Kissed" (1999) Directed by Raja Gosnell, starring Drew Barrymore and Michael Vartan In a turn of events that would make any SOC student swoon, Barrymore's undercover journalist falls for a teacher she's supposed to be covering for work. This flick's ideal for V-Day because it's funny for him and romantic for her.

"Love and Basketball" (2000) Directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, starring Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps This critically lauded film traces a rocky relationship between two childhood friends-turned-lovers as they both play basketball at USC. When it's over, play some one-on-one.