Bush gives strong speech on State of the Union

The 2006 State of the Union address is meant to highlight our country at social, economic, and international crossroads. It does so in the same way in which it highlights the state of George W. Bush's presidency. After what many analysts would consider the least successful year of his presidency, it's appropriate that the President does a little soul-searching in his leadership style, and how to approach America's future. The 2006 State of the Union will go down as the speech where the President reflected that soul-search by effectively connecting the philosophy of moral, economic and international leadership that is "the only way to protect our people...secure the peace [and] control our destiny."

The philosophy the president speaks of is to remain on the offensive abroad, economically, and socially. He ties these goals together through his language: we must be pre-eminent in fighting terror and expanding freedom, pre-eminent in economic competition and expanding the marketplace, and pre-eminent in securing our values and expanding the importance of human life. This is certainly not new rhetoric from President Bush, nor is his reasoning for rejecting the "broad and inviting" alternative, isolationism and protectionism. What's different this time is how effectively he breaks down our principles to demonstrate their similar origin, America's compassion, and their similar fate. In doing so, to paraphrase Bush aids, the President's speech was less of a laundry list of initiatives and a more "visionary" outline of America's virtue's and our interests.

Our most recent President takes a cue from our first in recognizing that "morality [is] an indispensable support" of political prosperity. Thus he ends his speech by explaining the importance of strengthening the social capital which "serves the interests of America by showing the compassion of America." His comments regarding human life, and AIDS have been staples of his presidency, but its disappointing that he didn't praise the progress made in the House on social issues. Unlike the Senate, the House has taken steps to increase social capital by passing the Federal Marriage Amendment, and banning Human Cloning. President Bush wishes to lessen the level of bickering in government and accomplish goals, and he could have used the House of Representatives stances as an example. Nevertheless, the President is correct in recognizing that a stronger social conscience at home, demonstrated by lower welfare cases, abortion rates, teen pregnancies, and violent crimes, translates to an America better prepared to set an example abroad.

While it's not the legacy George W. Bush probably wanted, the President finally recognizes that his fate as a president is intertwined to the fate of the war on terror. He does so by devoting a majority of his speech to the progress we have made, and the one clear path to victory, staying the course. His passionate defense of Iraq, the USA PATRIOT Act and the NSA terrorist surveillance program was well stated and confident. His highest marks have always come from defense issues and he probably can expect a bounce in the polls from being fervent in explaining the expansion of freedom as more than an ideal, but a necessary reality for America's security. By expanding freedom, the president makes it clear we are fighting something more than radical terrorists, but the concept of a society that breeds hopelessness and despair. Strengthening social capital at home and abroad becomes all the more important, and all the more connected to our international goals. The President effectively connects the dots between the two goals and doing so separates the more seasoned second term Bush from the "bring it on," "dead or alive" first term Bush.

His more sensible approach is probably a recognition of his lessened political capital. While his aggressive and active first term approach was necessary and successful, this has been a good thing for the president. His State of the Union reflects someone who is going to play smart politics and shelve many of the 'Great Society'-type initiatives that have alienated him from many fiscal conservatives. Once again, this goes back to the greater point of being pre-eminent in our economy and expanding opportunity. President Bush spoke of an "ownership society" in his re-election bid, and the areas in which the economy has experienced growth are a result of such policies. However, it's a melancholy truth that President Bush has done little to slow the growth of government, and while few Americans would disagree with increasing America's competitive edge economically, it's still a question whether it will actually turn into legislation. Hopefully, by intertwining the purpose and fate of America's economic gains to the success of America's values and interests abroad, we can gain ground in curbing the growth of the government as well as taking an active role in the expanding economy.

The presidents change in policy approach and tone reflect more about the character of President George W. Bush than the nation. In fact, it speaks to a skill he seldom gets credit for: adapting effectively to what's required of his presidency. He's done this before: changing his relatively isolationist, pre-9/11 foreign policy to a pro-active one, and focusing his presidency on the state of war we find ourselves in rather than the domestic reforms he campaigned on. His ability to do this effectively now, amidst bolder opposition than he has previously faced, is what his presidential legacy hinges on. Many second term presidencies have failed this challenge because they lack a focused agenda. By connecting our virtues and interests abroad, socially, and economically, President Bush has shown more determination than other recent Presidents to avoid second term uselessness. And while the odds are still against him, six years of George W. Bush have taught us he is a force not to be misunderestimated.

Will Haun is a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and a conservative columnist for the Eagle.