Artists' hijinks shock at Grammys

Speeches, costumes and performances push the show's limits

This year's Grammys, held live last Sunday, were interesting to say the very least. Those who put on the Grammys pulled out all the stops this year - even though "American Idol" killed the awards show in number of viewers - and obviously sought to shock, well, everyone in the process.

Oddest performance

Just imagine the planning for the show: "Who is the most random pairing we could ever come up with? Oh yes, of course, Madonna and the Gorillaz."

Why not? The animated band kicked off the show, played a little bit and then Madonna and dancers stormed the stage as they "played" together. A bit weird? (Madonna was wearing a long-sleeved purple leotard that showed off her killer legs. Forget looking that good at her age. Looking that good now would be nice.)

Most clich? moment

Now, there's nothing really wrong with Kelly Clarkson. She can sing, she's pretty and she's successfully shed her "American Idol" image. And, yes, she just won her first two Grammys. But, honestly, there's no need to fan your face (like one would do if one were mocking a typical acceptance speech) over and over. Really, it's not going to make you stop crying.

Worst outfit

Some liked her outfit, but Gwen Stefani's "Yes, I stepped in a tub of green paint during my three grueling steps to the limo" leopard-print dress was a bit much. Granted, she was pregnant (as was Gwyneth Paltrow at the Golden Globes), but that's no excuse for making everyone else look at such a fashion disaster. Didn't someone at least look at her before she stepped into the limo? Doesn't she have a stylist? And a husband? And her own clothing line? (Teri Hatcher runs a very close second here. And she usually looks so good.)

The moment that really has no explanation

Sly Stone (of The Family Stone) is just odd. He's spent the last few years completely out of the spotlight, after seeking it in the '70s. So when he came out to perform during the 15-minute long tribute to his band - including performances by Joss Stone, Steven Tyler and Maroon5 - with a shock-white mohawk, it wasn't all that extraordinary. However, as the performance wound up, he walked off the stage. Just left. The set wasn't even over yet. That's a diva moment almost worthy of one Mariah Carey.

Best use of costumes

Ever wanted to see what Kanye West and Jamie Foxx might have been like in high school? Look no further than the next Grammy rerun. To perform their hit single, "Gold Digger," the duo took the stage in full-out red and white marching band uniforms, complete with drum lines, dancers and those cute hats with the straps underneath the chin. Not that "Gold Digger" really has anything to do with a marching band. At all. But credit for creativity.

Most spastic moment

Chris Martin of Coldplay is generally regarded as a pretty cool guy. He's British, edgy, plays the piano, fronts a popular band and is married to Gwyneth Paltrow. Not bad at all. However, this does not give him license to storm the audience. During his band's performance, Martin took to the aisles, running up and down, shaking and writhing in the process. Maybe he was getting into the heat of the moment or something. Maybe he was having a seizure. Such questions are sometimes better left unanswered.

Best moment

Comedienne Ellen DeGeneres gets props for the most hilarious moment of the telecast when she came out to introduce an act and simply said, "Our next performer needs no introduction." Then she walked off the stage. Genius. Of course, the performer was the one and only Paul McCartney, making his Grammy performance debut. Every three-hour award show needs Ellen. No arguments.