Five for free

Washington, D.C., is full of fabulous free attractions, but by now, many of them are trite and far too touristy. (Honestly, how many times can one look at Dorothy's red slippers at the Smithsonian Museum of American History? They're not even shiny anymore.) However, the "free" part is key. Here are five free attractions that are worth saving some green to check out.

Chinese New Year Parade Jan. 29, 2006, at 2 p.m. Chinatown (H Street NW between Fifth and Eighth streets) Colorful dragon dancers, drummers and musicians will celebrate the Chinese Lunar New Year on the streets of Chinatown in a big way. Begin the new semester with some culture - TDR Chinese food doesn't count.

The Kennedy Center Millennium Stage Nightly, 6 p.m. 2700 F Street, NW Part of the "Performing Arts for Everyone" initiative, this free nightly performance at the Kennedy Center allows a wider audience to experience the arts. For students, it means a free fancy date.

Gravelly Point Park Daily until dark Take George Washington Parkway south toward Arlington, VA. The park is near Reagan National Airport. Remember that scene in "Wayne's World" where Wayne and Garth discuss if Bugs Bunny is attractive when he dresses up like a girl as landing airplanes fly just over their heads? Well, anyone can experience that (the airplanes, that is, not the awkward cartoon sexuality conversation) if he or she heads over to Gravelly Point Park. Park your car for up to three hours and feel the thrill of being so close to a loud, landing plane. Making out optional.

Third Thursdays Third Thursday each month Seventh Street, NW Every month art galleries and cultural institutions in the Seventh Street Arts District extend their hours so more people can enjoy the arts. Artists gather at the Goethe-Institut Inter Nationes and from there they lead free tours that emphasize new exhibits. Bonus feature: nearby restaurants and coffeehouses usually offer reduced prices.

Simply Sublime: Orchids in an Art Deco Garden Opens Jan. 21 U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory, 100 Maryland Ave., SW This exhibit features hundreds of beautiful orchids, including rare and endangered species. So before the quad blooms with millions of tulips, take a trip to the USBG and check out these extraordinary flowers.