Carlstrom saves best for last NCAAs

Late charge secures happy ending, 6th place finish for XC senior; men take 30th in team competition

In all sports, there's the myth of going out on top.

Nov. 21 at the NCAA Cross Country Championships in Terra Haute, Ind., AU senior Keira Carlstrom did that in her own way,

"It was kind of an emotional race being my last cross country race of my college career." Carlstrom said. "I wanted to make sure I went out on a good note."

The note wasn't just good, but excellent. The senior finished sixth on the women's 6,000-meter and earnd her third All-American honor in her career.

"I think it was a perfect way to finish off four years of college cross country," Carlstrom said.

Carlstrom passed seven other competitors in the final 500 meters of the race and in the process scored a personal-best time of 19:58. That was 25 seconds behind the winner of the race, junior Johanna Nilsson of Northern Arizona.

"I knew I was capable of doing something like this," Carlstrom said. "I went in with the confidence of doing so well, but top 10 was the main goal."

She added: "I still can't believe I finished sixth".

Las year on the same course, Carlstrom finished 17th, with a final time of 20:49.8, nearly a minute behind this year's effort. She finished 16th during her sophomore season.

Meanwhile, men's team finished 30th overall at the meet, with junior Brandon Fennell leading the pack of Eagles by coming in 128th.

Despite coming in 30th, freshman Kevin Tschirhart, who placed 194th, said the team was disappointed with its effort.

"We always try to set high goals for ourselves," Tschirhart said. "Sometimes we may set goals we cannot reach... (But) that's what keeps us motivated."

Besides Calstrom, two other AU athletes finished up their cross country careers in Terra Haute - seniors Pat Burford, who came in 185th, and Phil Turner, who finished 233rd

Next year's squad hopes to return to the meet, and when they do, to be a little wiser.

"I think the biggest lesson I learned was how easy it is to pass people (and get passed by people)." Tschirhart said.

While the men hope to have better days, it was a morning Carlstrom won't forget.

"It shows all the work I had put in over the years." Carlstrom said. "It was great to see it pay off."

AU now transitions to the indoor track season, starting with the Navy Invitational on Friday.