Adderall use jumps as fear of finals looms

With finals looming around the corner, many students are relying on the use of prescription drugs like Adderall to help stay alert while studying.

Adderall, which is prescribed for people who suffer from attention deficit disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, is a stimulant that helps patients focus. Students who are not diagnosed with these disorders get the pills from friends who have prescriptions so they can stay awake to cram for exams.

Students at AU say using Adderall as a study aid is common, especially during midterms and finals. Two students, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Eagle about their experience with Adderall.

"Every single one of my friends has used Adderall except me," one student said. The other student explained how easy it is to get a prescription. His own doctor wanted to give him the drug for a sprained ankle, he said, which is usually not a reason for the drug to be prescribed.

Scott, an AU student who wished to have his name changed, said students seek out the drug during major study times.

"People use it because it is basically speed," Scott said. "Adderall is over-prescribed and highly sought after during finals."

Kathy Schwartz, director of the Academic Support Center, said Adderall is not an alternative to preparing for finals.

"The best advice is to start early," Schwartz said. "Your memory works best when you distribute learning over a period of time, studying in short chunks of no more than two hours at a time."

The center also warns about the potential dangers of abusing prescription drugs. They warn that self-dosing is dangerous and Adderall can interact with other medications a person is taking which could cause adverse side effects. Also, it is illegal to possess prescription drugs without a prescription.

Other schools across the country have reported Adderall use among their students. Loyola College in Maryland, Northeastern University, the University of Mississippi and the University of Pennsylvania have all reported in their school newspapers Adderall use is common among their students during midterms and finals.

Officials and faculty at Penn are aware of the abuse of the drug by students.

"We know that it's pretty common among young people, especially undergraduates," said William Alexander, deputy director of Counseling and Psychological Services at Penn. "It's hard to estimate how many Penn students take it regularly, because many students have prescriptions from doctors at home that we don't even know about. It is definitely one of the most widely prescribed drugs."

Students with prescriptions can sell their pills for about five dollars each, Scott said. Pills range from five to thirty milligrams.

Despite the consequences, students still turn to Adderall for a competitive edge during finals, Scott said.

"Basically during finals everyone is cracked out on it," Scott said. "Adderall is an epidemic."

Adderall, which stimulates nerve cells in the brain, is used to treat narcolepsy and those with attention deficit disorder who show signs of hyperactivity

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, stomach upset, cramps, loss of appetite, diarrhea, constipation, dry mouth, headache, nervousness, dizziness, sleep problems, irritability or restlessness may occur the first several days as your body adjusts to the medication. Other side effects reported include twitching, sweating, flushing, muscle tremor, change in sexual desire or ability.

WARNINGS: Adderall can be habit forming and must be used with caution. When used with alcohol, Adderall can increase unwanted side effects of dizziness. Misuse or abuse of Adderall could result in serious and possibly fatal heart or blood pressure problems.

*Information from webmd.com