Networking more than card collecting

People think networking is simply approaching a potential employer in a social setting, making inconsequential small talk, getting a business card and firing off an e-mail the next day asking for a job. In practice though, collecting business cards just means adding people to your list of contacts and turning that card collection into job offers isn't always successful. Luckily there is a plethora of books available that explain how become a better networker. Keith Ferrazzi's book (co-written with Tahl Raz) "Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship At A Time," offers several useful strategies for turning business cards into a network of contacts, which can then translate into job offers. While it is mostly aimed at those in the business world, it does offer useful advice for any AU student trying to make their way into the Washington job market.

Books about "success" can be dull, leaving the reader feeling inadequate, or unsuccessful in comparison to the author. Ferrazzi's book is different: it is a philosophical guide to networking. He writes, "Connecting is a philosophy of life, a worldview. It's guiding principal is that people, all people, ever person you meet, is an opportunity to help and be helped." It's a refreshing way to look at anything from a metro ride to a cocktail reception.

Ferrazzi has three strategies that are helpful for students transitioning into the working world. First, he tells readers to build their network before they need it. People are far more likely to help you if they've known you before you ask for their help, he writes. But how do you get to know new people or potential employers?

The standard advice for students, from the AU Career Center brochure titled "Informational Interviewing and Networking," is to approach a potential contact at a social event. It advises students to "try and use an opening line based on the current setting," such as "isn't it great that AU decided to put together this networking reception?" It is hard to imagine a follow up to that question. But this is the school-sanctioned advice we're given, in addition to such pointers as "maintain eye contact when talking to people. Eye contact communicates sincerity and interest."

Ferrazzi's second strategy presents a different way to approach networking at a social event. Hiding behind polite, trivial conversation is no way to connect with people, he writes. "When it comes to making an impression, differentiation is the name of the game ... The truth is that everyone has something in common with every other person. And you won't find those similarities if you don't open up and expose your interests and concerns, allowing others to do likewise." The best icebreakers, Ferrazzi writes, are "words from the heart." That might sound like difficult advice to follow in a city like Washington-politicians and their staff members aren't known for their sincerity - but it's worth trying out. Professionals in this city are constantly approached by eager young people trying to find work, saying something genuine can be an easy way to distinguish yourself.

The third strategy is to keep in regular contact with the people in your network. Ferrazzi calls this "pinging," a quick, casual greeting. Once you've established a personal relationship with someone, send e-mails regularly. While this sounds like a rudimentary practice, many of us are guilty of falling out of touch with people who have helped us in the past. By pinging, you can let people know you're thinking of them in times other than when you need their help.

One of the strengths of Ferrazzi's book is that it has strategies that can be used by regular people trying to find a job, while also offering advice for hardcore networkers looking to get further ahead ("When it comes to relationship maintenance, you have to be on your game 24/7, 365 days a year"). There are also interesting profiles scattered throughout the book. Ferrazzi's "Connector's Hall of Fame," profiles people ranging from Paul Revere to the Dalai Lama.

In the end, the book contains some of the best wisdom for people seeking entry-level positions: "It's never boring...You're always learning about yourself other people, business, and the world, and it feels great"