'Les Mis?rables' actress Henstock comes home

"Les Mis?rables," the critically acclaimed musical that has entertained millions for over 20 years, is coming to the National Theatre with the Washington Performing Arts Society this holiday season. The tale of love, loss and redemption follows ex-convict Jean Valjean as he works to redeem himself in the eyes of God. Along the way, he adopts an orphaned child, becomes a gentleman and aids in an insurrection, all the while chased by the resolute Inspector Javert. Leslie Henstock, who plays Valjean's adopted daughter Cosette in this winter's production, was able to take time out between rehearsals to answer questions about her character and the show.

Henstock has been a part of "Les Mis?rables" off and on for approximately three years. She originally joined the national touring cast of the production for its last stint through the District. Last time, she was the understudy for the role of Cosette. Now, as the production returns to the nation's capital, Henstock has become a full-fledged member of the cast.

"It's very surreal, because it was in the holiday season that I joined the production and to be coming back to the city where I started in the same time frame as before is fantastic," Henstock said.

Henstock said that there are major differences between being an understudy and a full cast member. "As an understudy you only perform once or twice every four to six weeks and so the focus is much more on not forgetting lyrics and hitting your mark in order to make it a full performance. However, as cast, you notice little things, tiny moments, and you react to something you did not realize was there before. It lends itself to a much fuller character, which adds greatly to the overall performance."

Henstock related her story of seeing the show as a young girl and falling in love with it, but seeing it later as an adult and wondering why the magic had gone from the performance. Fortunately, she feels as though the magic has returned with this run of the musical. While she admits that there might be a bit of personal bias involved, she said that having the cast care actively for the value of the production adds a lot to the overall emotion of the show.

According to Henstock, the show operates much like a machine because it has been around for so long. Everyone works into a routine in the weeks leading up to the performance. "There is one day of full dress rehearsal and then it is a sort of trial by fire when everyone goes out there. We don't even do the show with full lighting or cast until opening night."

One might think that the clockwork running of the show might remove some of the emotion and energy from the performance. But Henstock went on to say "the orchestra is fantastic, as are the cast and crew; they all work hard to make each show the best show, and everyone wants to be there and cares about the production." All of these contribute to the lasting impression that "Les Mis?rables" has had on audiences over the last two decades.

One of the aspects of the production that Henstock most enjoyed is the move from venue to venue. A self-described "city girl," Henstock has toured the nation with "Les Mis?rables," stopping in many cities including Boston, Chicago and San Francisco. Despite having performed in many locations, she had nothing but warm things to say about the National Theatre here in the District, citing the closeness of the stage to the audience as one of her favorite aspects of the venue. "I enjoy being that close to the audience. Getting to see up close how involved and moved by the story people get is a wonderful feeling."

In the end, it really is the fans of the show that have kept it running for so long, said Henstock. "While it's difficult to be away from your family for such long periods of time on the road, the fans make it worth it and keep it all going," she said.

"Les Mis?rables" will be at the National Theatre from Dec. 7 to Jan. 21. Tickets run from $36.25 to $83.25 and are available online or at the box office. To learn more about the musical "Les Mis?rables," visit www.lesmis.com, or for more on Leslie Henstock and her career visit www.lesliehenstock.com.