DJ group Ishlab brings hip-hop, go-go back to Bethesda

Whatever happened to D.C. funk? That banging, bass thumping, conga-pounding groove that used to permeate out of second story balconies and basement windows. Has it gone to nostalgia like the purity and social impact of mainstream hip-hop, only to be replaced by flavorless chunks of preservative filled, radio-friendly fluff? It's a tough question to address, but it's one to which the hip-hop band-turned-musical collective Ishlab has an answer.

Formed by brothers Misha and Pasha Davidson and their friend Kush El-Amin, the band has grown significantly since its days of rocking house parties and simply complementing friends with an itch to rhyme. What started as an idea to incorporate hip-hop into their act has grown into a voice and vehicle for a fledgling yet thriving community of local MCs, R&B singers, poets and rastas who otherwise might have gone unheard of.

From this March to October, the latest incarnation of Ishlab's live raucousness rattled Bethesda every Wednesday, bringing some needed color to the pasty town as they hosted a hip-hop and soul shakedown party at American Caf?. The band's ability to capture any audience while still cultivating a party atmosphere has led to performances all along the east coast, most notably opening for hip-hop luminaries Jurassic 5 in Geneva, N.Y., in 2004.

Now the whole world can now get a scrumptious sample of the boys at work, as they provide accompaniment for Definitive Jux mainstay and underground star C-Rayz Walz in a live performance featured on MTV.com.

Misha, who began studying classical piano as a young child, and brother Pasha (the band's drummer), along with bassist El-Amin, were raised for the majority of their lives in Washington, and express an affinity and love for the local music scene. This adoration extends to the local musicians who have risen to greatness, such as the timeless Duke Ellington and the unforgettable Marvin Gaye, but also includes their fondness of an element of the D.C. scene which has so far inexplicably failed to gain national prominence: go-go.

According to Misha, go-go emerged as an art form to counter the stranglehold of disco and pop music, as well as the DJ, and continues to hold on to dance driven live music. "Go-go is D.C.'s own patented brand of funk ... and after 30 years, people are still dancing all night to go-go, just like they are at a club dancing to a DJ. It's crazy."

While acknowledging they're not a go-go band, Ishlab understands and appreciates the influence of the genre on live music and often incorporates go-go elements into its performances. For keyboardist and producer Misha, the concept behind the group has always been to translate the electronic nature of hip-hop into an organic live experience.

"[Ishlab is] a DJ," Misha said. "We're a live DJ session."

The imminent release of their self-produced, mastered, distributed and promoted album stands to strengthen its delicate grasp of mainstream success.

On the album, "Russboy Presents ... Ish Masters 2005," the band does a remarkable job of translating its live vision into a more accessible format.

Emerging in the 16-track debut is a softer, more soulful sound than previously heard at the band's concerts, all the while effortlessly retaining its party sensibility by keeping the beats throbbing and the heads bopping.

The album stays close to home, strictly featuring some of D.C.'s most up-and-coming hip-hop talent, such as North Starr Intanational, E Pimp, Yung Wise and Bless, to name a few.

Despite the band's connections and associations with artists from all over the country, it was a natural decision to come home to complete the album.

"I like to be around people that inspire me," Misha said, alluding to the circle of local talent that has flocked to collaborate with the band.

The band plans to continue playing local shows, with a residency at Bethesda's South Beach Nightclub to begin this Saturday, and will march forward with its independent approach towards the ultimate goal: success for all those associated with this musical conglomeration, not just themselves.

"Being able to make a living doing this, and to allow other peoples voices to be heard, that's the purpose," Misha said.

Is the D.C. funk still alive? It sure is. Just ask the DJ.