Week aimed to educate about mental health awareness

Active Minds, the AU counseling center and Pi Kappa Alpha are collaborating to educate the public about mental illness as part of the national Mental Illness Awareness Week this week.

Mental Illness Awareness Week is an annual, national observance that was started by a 1990 Presidential proclamation to focus attention on the high incidence of mental illness in America, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Web site.

Pi Kappa Alpha's philanthropy is mental health awareness because in August 2004, an alumnus of the fraternity and the university committed suicide, said Stephen Dougherty, a junior in the School of International Service and a member of Pi Kappa Alpha.

The fraternity hopes "to show people that if they have a problem... getting help is ok," Dougherty said.

The fraternity and Active Minds will be raffling off a gift certificate to eFollet.

A chapter of Active Minds was started at AU last February by Alexis Chappell, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences. The group's goal is to raise awareness about mental illness on college campuses.

Wanda Collins, the new acting director of the counseling center, said the center advertises its services directly to students through the Today@AU e-newsletter, posters in the residence halls and other on-campus buildings and fliers in orientation packets for incoming freshmen.

"We want to make sure that both students and members of the community who are in daily contact with students know of our services and can refer students here," she said in an e-mail.

The top three concerns of students seeking help at the center last year were emotional and mental health, relationship and identity concerns and academic problems, she said. A total of 837 students were seen at the center last year.

More students need to know that the counseling center is free, confidential and open to all students, including Washington Semester and graduate students, Chappell said.

If a student would like to speak with a counselor, he or she can either call the center at extension 3500 or stop by room 214 in Mary Graydon Center and schedule an "intake" appointment, Collins said. Same-day emergency appointments are also available for students who are in a crisis and cannot wait for the next available intake appointment, she said.

Most students feel better after one or two appointments, but sometimes continued care is necessary, Collins said. The intake counselors work closely with students to get them the appropriate treatment, whether it is on-campus or in the community, she said.

"We would like to raise awareness of mental health issues, reduce the stigma that is often associated with mental health concerns and let students know that they do not need to suffer in silence because help is available," Collins said. "We want students to come for help early on rather than waiting until their lives feel out of control."

Events this week include a showing of "The Aviator" Monday night at 8:15 p.m. in Ward 103 and cookie-decorating to relieve stress on Wednesday. A newsletter will also be posted in the bathrooms of the residence halls, Chappell said.

Chapell said she started Active Minds after surviving anorexia and depression in high school. After starting college, she discovered that many of her friends had also had mental illnesses they had hidden.

"I knew the stigma very well," she said.

The transition into college is difficult for any student, and there has been increased interest from transfer students and freshmen and sophomores, Chappell said.

Active Minds will be tabling in Mary Graydon Center today and Tuesday and on the quad throughout the rest of the week.

Nationwide, the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill is sponsoring a Take Action campaign this month, asking people to make an online donation to help fund advocacy work and education programs for mental health.