The civil war within the Democratic party rages on

There's a tug-of-war over the future of the Democratic Party.ÿ On one side are moderates who think inside the box and are scared to death by the Republican machine.ÿ They are cowards who do just about anything to win, including being more conservative.ÿ These people win elections, but do nothing groundbreaking once in office.ÿ

On the other side of the divide, you have idealistic liberals who fight for social justice and change, people just as scared of Republican domination.ÿ These people are brave, but have no clue how to win.ÿ Instead of getting elected, they protest, get arrested, and throw away chances to make a difference.

ÿThe biggest loser in the tug-of-war is America.ÿ Because the Democratic Party has a split personality and speaks with two voices, citizens have no choice but to vote Republican. The results often bring in administrations that waste money here at home, and are ineffective abroad.

This Democratic Civil War should not be happening.ÿ If the Democrats want to survive, they need to forget about moderation and stop thinking that being liberal will kill the Party.ÿ Liberal Democrats have a better track record than conservative Republicans when it comes to making progress and being socially just.ÿ Liberals built the middle class by taking power out of the hands of irresponsible corporations, creating a minimum wage, and supporting labor unions.ÿ Liberals have showed a commitment to equality by supporting aggressive affirmative action policies.ÿ Liberals have won wars by being smart and fighting only when necessary.ÿ Liberals have nothing to be ashamed of, but the Democratic Party is still spooked about being labeled liberal.ÿ Why?ÿ Whatever the reason, it needs to stop.

ÿThe Democratic Party has to fight for its beliefs, no matter how liberal.ÿ In politics, the only things that matter are selling ideas and winning votes.ÿ Silly, backwards, and radical ideas can still be winning ideas if you know how to sell them.ÿ Good salespeople, like Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton, can sell gasoline in hell.ÿ Ronald Reagan was a racist and an extreme conservative whose ideas were bad for ordinary Americans.ÿ But because he delivered those bad ideas with a smile and a twinkle in his eye, he won two presidential elections.

ÿIllinois Senator Barack Obama, is Democratic version of Ronald Reagan.ÿ By using inclusive language, he was able to enchant voters on both sides of the aisle and crush his opponent without being moderate.ÿ Barack Obama is not afraid to be liberal.ÿ No Democrat, even ones in blood red states like Texas and Mississippi, should ever run away from being liberal.

ÿJohn Kerry lost last year because he had no message, not because he was "too liberal".ÿ Instead of being brave and bold, he was coy and cowardly.ÿ Whenever someone called him a liberal, he ran away with his tail between his legs.ÿ If the Democrats want to win and dominate in the future, they need to start thinking outside the box, and get rid of the foolish notion that finding the center is the way to make progress. ÿModeration has never brought about significant social change, and never will.

ÿThe American system is broken.ÿ Moderation does not fix these flaws, and has never been idealistic.ÿ Taking moderate positions in the short term may be smart politically, but it's bad socially.ÿ If we are going to make changes, then we have to destroy the system and start over...when has moderation ever suggested that?ÿ Democrats would be wise not to let the moderate wing lead the Party, because the moderate wing will drive the Party straight into the ground without making waves.ÿ And since Democrats believe in making progress, isn't the status quo exactly whatÿwe don'tÿwant anyway?

Robert Idlett is a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, and one of the Eagle's liberal columnists.