Sports briefs

Field hockey unbeaten after win at No. 16 JMU

The No. 5 AU field hockey team (12-0) held No. 16 James Madison to three shots to win on the Dukes' turf Wednesday, 4-1.

Senior midfielder Heather Maranzano led the Eagles with a goal and an assist. Seven other players registered a point.

JMU (8-6) ended Allyson Fayfich's shoutout bid with a goal in the in the 66th minute. The AU goalkeeper was forced to make just one save.

Army halts volleyball's 70-game PL win streak

The AU women's volleyball team (13-8, 6-1 Patriot League) lost its first PL match since joining the conference in 2001 Saturday. Army (12-3, 5-1), which AU defeated last year for the conference title, shut down the Eagles in West Point, N.Y., 3-0 (30-23, 30-24, 31-29).

Four AU players made more errors than kills as Biddulph took the offensive burden for 19 kills.

The Eagles had prime position to extend the match, leading late in the third game, 28-23. But the Black Knights revived themselves to bounce back on an 8-1 run to end AU's conference winning streak at 70 games.

In other fall break action on the road, AU swept Holy Cross on Friday and Maryland-Eastern Shore on Tuesday.