Shuttle service discussed at Park Bethesda forum

Housing and Dining members take student questions and concerns

Park Bethesda's history, as well as the building's plagued shuttle service, were discussed Monday night among students and administrators in the Park Bethesda lounge.

Julie Weber, director of Housing and Dining programs, answered various questions from students about why the university cannot fund more service hours and what can be done to increase the amount of service hours.

"All we can do is shift around," Weber said, referring to use of the current funds.

According to Weber, transportation companies are not attracted to the Park Bethesda route because it's not a lucrative route.

Weber further explained that the university sent out a solicitation to transportation companies for the Park Bethesda route, only Reston limousine, and the current contractor, Golden Touch Limousine responded.

Students asked Weber questions regarding current overcrowding of buses, illegalities about using University-owned shuttles across state lines, and high costs associated with obtaining needed licenses for crossing state lines.

According to Weber, using the Tenleytown shuttles is not possible because buses cannot typically cross the D.C.-Maryland line. Weber mentioned an expensive license for the buses which would allow interstate travel, but the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Commission, the organization charged with issuing transportation licenses, was unable to verify this claim.

Dan Clinkman, a senior in the School of International Service and a Park Bethesda staff member, cited the lack of handrails on buses, which are needed during overcrowded periods, as a safety concern. Golden Touch Limo offered to use a larger bus, but the university cannot afford it Weber said. Despite this, Weber said the university wants to use a larger bus during the morning rush.

Plans for next year's shuttle service have not yet been made, and the university will explore its options, Weber said. A solicitation will be sent out in February for a new contract since the current service is only contracted for one year. Weber also said no shuttle service budget increase is expected for next year.

"I think you can always do more," said Maya Chaplin, RHA Park Bethesda president said, referring to current efforts being made to improve shuttle service.