Ravi and Anoushka Shankar impress Strathmore crowd

Standing ovations were commonplace on Sunday as sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar performed at the Strathmore Music Center.

The sold out show was filled with an eclectic audience, from sari-clad women to enthusiastic ex-hippies. The two-part performance featured Ravi Shankar and his daughter, Anoushka Shankar, as well as talented musicians playing an assortment of classical Indian instruments.

Ravi Shankar, now 85, is best known for his skill with the sitar and his effort to bring Indian music to the west. Many westerners are familiar with Indian music because of Shankar's pupil, George Harrison, who Shankar trained in the '60s. Shankar also trained his daughter Anoushka.

The small, plainly decorated stage was dwarfed by the towering rows of seats and hundreds of fans. The musicians sat cross-legged on the stage, and began the show by tuning their instruments. The laid back feel of the performance helped to involve the audience and increased the appreciation for the music. A strong sense of musicianship came through, which was a welcome break from the studio-perfected music many CDs convey.

The first part of the show featured Anoushka in the center of the stage flanked by eight other musicians and two vocalists. The fast-paced music was led by wave-like sitar notes with a steady drum beat at the center. Occasionally a nasal sounding flute would interject and change the rhythm of the song.

Soaring above the instruments were the melodic voices of the male and female singers. Their voices blended together perfectly, gliding along with the rest of the music. The sound on staged was a perfect balance of vocals, strings, percussion and flutes.

Anoushka was able to make even the most intricate songs seem easy as she slid her fingers up and down the long neck of the sitar. The instrument seemed like a part of her body, and she would often close her eyes and play by feel. While her sitar playing is more intense then her father's, her style is also more graceful and easier on the eyes.

The second part of the show opened to thunderous applause as Ravi Shankar took the stage. He took his spot in the center of the stage with the well-earned and confident walk of a master. Shankar was accompanied on stage by his daughter to his left and a single percussion and string instrument behind him.

The balance of the first half disappeared as the stage became dominated by the sitars of Shankar and his daughter. They began with a "Dueling Banjos"-style song in which each player tried to outdo the other. The duo then went into a religious-themed song with a hefty amount of improvisation akin to that of the Grateful Dead.

Though an elderly man, Shankar performed as if he were in his 20s. He played at an alarming speed with only a few breaks in between. Shankar's style is softer then his daughter's, but just as masterful. He moved his body to the music, and tapped his feat to the rhythm as he improvised on his sitar.

Both halves of the performance had their strengths and weaknesses. The first half had many catchy rhythms but did not include the sitar playing of Shankar. The second half showed the mastery of Shankar and his daughter through various sitar solos, but lost many of the catchy rhythms of the first half.

The arrangement of songs was perfect, with each song transitioning smoothly into the next. The first half of the performance was more structured, with set songs and little improvisation. Though the improvisation in the second half was a welcome change, a few songs went on too long and became repetitive.

Overall, however, it was an excellent performance, and the best possible example of sitar music. Even those who are not familiar with Indian music will enjoy watching the Shankars' skilled sitar playing. Ravi Shankar is a living legend, and he more then lived up to his reputation.