Whedon has finally found 'Serenity'

Movie picks up where cancelled 'Firefly' left off

What do you get when the Morlochs from H.G. Well's "Time Machine" mix with the Orcs from Tolkien's "Lord of The Rings" and enter the "Star Wars" universe? "Serenity," of course.

Based on the Fox TV series "Firefly," "Serenity" is an outer space adventure in the same vein as "Star Wars." Joss Whedon, known best for his "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" series, directed both "Serenity" and "Firefly." The TV series originally premiered on Fox, but was cut short after a 15-episode run. Since its cancellation, the series has garnered a cult following through high DVD sales and fan websites. This scenario probably sounds very familiar to the thousands of "Family Guy" fans out there. The movie "Serenity" promises to answer many questions left hanging by the abrupt cancellation of the TV show, as well as leave the plot open for future episodes.

"Serenity" takes place 500 years in the future, when the earth's resources have been used up and humans are forced to relocate to another galaxy. The major power in this new universe is called the Alliance, and they are trying to gain control over all planets. The plot follows a motley group aboard the ship, Serenity. The captain of the ship, Mal (Nathan Fillion), tries to make a living by hiring himself out of questionable jobs. His primary concern over money changes when he finds out the Alliance is hunting his shipmate, River (Summer Glau), over a dark secret. Protecting her is not easy, as the crew of the ship competes with both the Alliance and the mysterious human-eating Reavers.

Whedon's universe is much more realistic than those of other sci-fi thrillers. There are no heavily costumed or computer generated aliens, just human beings. Since everyone is originally from earth, christianity, buddhism, and other religions are still a part of everyone's lives. Little reminders, such as dinosaur action figures, TV commercials and normal clothing, give a sense of realism in an otherwise unbelievable setting. Of course standard sci-fi material is present as well, including laser guns and computers that work with the press of a button. The mix between realism and pure imagination is well done, creating a setting that sucks the viewers in and keeps them on the edge of their seats.

The comedic elements in the film are not as balanced. Comedy is prevalent in every scene, even when it should not be. Cute or funny comments are said at the deaths of characters, during violent sequences and other inappropriate times. Still, when it is used right, Whedon's sense of humor lightens the mood and adds to the personalities of the characters.

While "Serenity" borrows many themes from other movies, it is its own entity. The fate of the characters is always unknown, keeping the viewer's heart pumping abnormally fast for all two hours. The story in its most base form is a hero rescuing a lady in distress and defeating the evil bad guy. Whedon takes this classic plot and twists and contorts it to his will. Awesome fight sequences abound, as do mysterious planets filled with secrets. The martial arts are akin to "The Matrix," and the outer space dogfights are even better than those from "Star Wars".

The soundtrack for the movie is excellent, providing an eclectic assortment of music that works amazingly well at pulling the viewer in. The vast vistas of space are filled with Spanish guitar, catchy Asian themes and heart-pounding suspense music.

Due to the large cast of characters, no individual is effectively developed. Relationships between characters also depend on prior knowledge from the TV series. Thus sympathy for the main characters only goes so far. Unfortunately, a movie cannot do the same justice to the intricate characters as a lengthy TV series can.

Many of the actors in "Serenity" are unknown, recognizable only from their work in "Firefly." Despite the lack of stardom, the acting is mostly believable and well-performed.

"Serenity" is a shining example of a sci-fi action and adventure movie done right. Background knowledge of the TV series is not essential, but it will increase the viewer's understanding and enjoyment of the film. In any case, exhilarating action in an interesting alternate universe proves to be an unbeatable combination.