Ten for $10

­Az£car! The Life and Music of Celia Cruz

This vibrant exhibit on the life and work of Celia Cruz, the so-called "Queen of Latin Music" and one of Cuba's biggest stars (featured in the critically acclaimed documentary "The Buena Vista Social Club") includes music, videos, documents and the dress Cruz wore at her last public performance before she died of brain cancer in 2003. Through Dec. 31 at the National Museum of American History. Cost: Free.

Play chess in Dupont Circle

Pros and people-watchers alike will adore an afternoon or early evening spent hanging around the outdoor chess tables in Dupont. Veteran players are skillful and mean business, and dozens of people camp out of benches to watch. Go any time while the weather's still nice; once it gets cold, the show moves into Books-A-Million across the street. Cost: Free.

Jazz in the Garden: Origem

Head over to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden to enjoy classy jazz tunes at sunset while the weather's still pleasant. Friday, Sept. 16 at 5 p.m. Cost: Free.

U Street Walking Tour

Learn about the historic landmarks and history of one of D.C.'s culturally richest neighborhoods, including the "Black Broadway" that nurtured and hosted jazz greats Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway and Dizzy Gillespie. Saturday, Sept. 17. 10 a.m. at U Street-Cardozo Metro station. Cost: $10.

Moveable Feast Culinary Tour

This "snack-a-thon" through downtown D.C. takes participants through the streets (and on the Metro) in a whirlwind tasting of "bubble tea, shrimp crackers, half-smokes and cupcakes," to name a few. Be warned that it lasts three hours. Saturday, Sept. 17, 1:30 p.m. at Archives-Navy Memorial Metro station. Cost: $10, plus Metro fare/cost of snacks at each stop.

Seventh Annual Black L.U.V. Festival

Celebrating social change and empowerment, the Black L.U.V. (love, unity and vision) Festival features musicians, poets, and community activists along with food vendors and community organizations. Sunday, Sept. 18, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Fourth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. Cost: Free.

The Capitol Crescent Trail

For some serious exercise or just a change of pace, walk, jog, rollerblade or ride a bike along this beautiful 11-mile trail connecting Silver Spring, Md. to Georgetown in the District. For information on trail routes and history, check out www.cctrail.org. Cost: Free.

Right Round '80s Dance Party

Madness and Depeche Mode, anyone? Break out those acid wash jeans and hit the floor with reckless abandon. Saturday, Sept. 17, 9:30 p.m. at the Black Cat. Cost: $6.

Great Frederick Fair Road Trip

Join AU's International Student Services on this trek to rural Frederick, Md.'s town fair. "Chickens, sheep, baked goods and amusement park rides" will all be in the mix. Call x3350 for more information. Saturday, Sept. 17, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cost: Free, plus cost of food and rides.

Lust, Trust and True Love relationship workshop

Common myths about love, lust and relationships are vanquished in this straight, gay and bisexual-friendly workshop. Thursday, Sept. 15, 12:45 to 2:00 p.m. in Mary Graydon Center 205. Cost: Free.