'Sigur' rocks Strathmore

Icelandic band plays new singles, old favorites

Paying $50 for a show may seem crazy to some, but money is no object with Iceland's Sigur Ros. The sheer beauty and power of Sigur Ros' sound is an escape from the overbearing nuisances of inflation, high gas rates and - most importantly - reality. The sound that Sigur Ros emits is so ethereal and ambient, one might think they are actually in Iceland as they are listening to them play. Sigur Ros' new album, entitled "Takk," is a symphony of emotion and power that is so surreal it leaves the listener breathless. This sound is certainly visible in Sigur Ros's live show.

Sigur Ros held Wednesday a concert at the Music Center at Strathmore, an opera house/theatre nestled in North Bethesda amongst the trees and forestry. The opening band, Amina, was an all-woman Icelandic string quartet that used a variety of instruments for their unique sound. It seemed that anything they could find was used, from laptops and saws to wine glasses half full of water. The quartet is actually Sigur Ros' back-up orchestra that, in addition to recording with Sigur Ros, tours extensively with the band. The girls used their unlikely instruments to craft a sound that, although at times soporific, was nonetheless crowd-pleasing. The highlight of their set was the last song, in which one of the women picked up a beat machine and played a cute dance-like beat that put a smile on everyone's face and surprised many who had already gotten used to their cellos and violins.

When Sigur Ros took the stage, they were greeted with a huge roar from the crowd. They opened up with "Gl¢s¢li," their new single from "Takk." The band performed this song behind a white curtain that covered the stage and projected images that seemed to convey the perfect emotion of the song and of the evening. The song starts off peaceful and comforting and then builds up to a triumphant sound that climaxes with drums and guitars bombarding the listener with a feeling so unreal it is almost beyond comprehension. After the song finished, the curtain dropped and the band proceeded into the rest of their set, one filled with crowd favorites, new and old.

The crowd seemed to be surprised each time a song they hoped Sigur Ros would play was performed. Crowd favorites such as "Svefn-g-englar" and "Vaka" were played to the delight of everyone in attendance. Sigur Ros also took this chance to play new tracks off of "Takk" that were well received. Songs such as "Hoppipolla" and "Gong" were performed and received with much enthusiasm. The entire time of the set, the songs were performed amidst the backdrop of images that capture the sound and mood of Sigur Ros perfectly. Shadows of people kissing and dancing, broken doll faces - all of these are symbolic images that display the emotion with which one might watch Sigur Ros perform.

The band finished off its set with "Vi rar vel til loft r sa," a peaceful and gentle song that is another crowd favorite. During the song lights were projected out toward the audience, making the entire concert hall look like a night sky filled with stars. The crowd roared after the song and shouted as Sigur Ros took the stage for an encore.

The encore lasted about 12 minutes as the crowd lit up once again when they heard the opening lines of "Popplagi," a song that is epic in length and sound. The song translated means "Pop Song," an ironic title for a song so grand. The song starts off ambient and peaceful as most Sigur Ros songs do and then transitions into to a cataclysmic and urgent sound with the breakdown of a frantic drumbeat. The spirit of the song was captured well when, during the breakdown, the drummer's silhouette was projected onto the screen.

The song's ending was abrupt and final, and when it was all over the crowd gave Sigur Ros a standing ovation for giving them their $50 worth. The crowd proceeded to roar for Sigur Ros and their orchestra Amina, which prompted the eight of them to take the stage twice for their bows.