'Empire' is a gem

RPG boasts action, intrigue

What is there to say about BioWare's new action-RPG "Jade Empire" that hasn't already been said about Winston Churchill? It's loud, drunk and an amazing dancer. The makers of the critically acclaimed "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic" were certainly eating their Wheaties when they started work on what will undoubtedly become an Xbox classic. "Jade Empire," which is set in, well, the Jade Empire, whisks the player to a magical land brimming with fiery characters, beautiful landscapes and Asian stereotypes.

The game starts with one of many characters departing his martial arts school and hometown, Twin Rivers, to embark on a journey. His destination: Actionville. The dominant fighting style of each character - balanced, magic, power or speed - serves to alter how the game is played. To truly master "Jade Empire," one must learn to utilize all styles of combat and catch a fly with a chopstick. Just as one's actions in the heat of battle dictate how the player will fare in the game, actions in the heat of the moment dictate how the story will unfold.

The way gamers conduct themselves in "Jade Empire" affects not only who their character is, but who they will become. For this purpose, the game presents two paths for players to take: Open Palm or Closed Fist. For Open Palm, think Boy Scout; for Closed Fist, think Montgomery Burns. This aspect of "Jade Empire" is what really gives the game its hook, because the two paths not only change the events of the game, but the fighting styles and moves. Plus, mentioning Closed Fisting is a real head-turner at cocktail parties.

Much of the player's time is divided among interaction between various characters and townsfolk of beautifully detailed landscapes and cities, accumulating a rockin' team, learning secrets and piecing them together. The rest of the time is spent kicking butt and taking names, Shaft style. That is, if Shaft had trained his entire life at a Kung Fu monastery and could shoot ice at his opponents.

Each character in the game has a unique style of fighting and can utilize a variety of weapons, magic skills and attacks, allowing for very smooth and fast combat. Instead of tediously karate chopping through ghosts, pirates and flaming horses, one can gracefully plow through them with the most effective moves, Fred Astaire style.

The game unfortunately has few downsides, making it almost as addictive as theFacebook.com. Among the little annoyances are often insanely lengthy load times and cut scenes, which are just long enough to order some delicious beef chow mein.

Overall, however, "Jade Empire" is a total gem, and a jade one at that. The voice talent of John Cleese as "the Foreigner" is an added bonus. Video game fans looking to combine the intrigue of "Morrowind" with the action of "Tekken" will find "Jade Empire" particularly rewarding.