Ten for $10

Ten ways to cut loose or learn more for $10 or less.

1 Visual Music at the Hirshhorn: Multiple rooms of visual music movies and exhibits that play with tones, notes, colors and light. It's an entirely free must-see. Through Sept. 11; museum hours are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

2 CATatonia: '80s, hip-hop and soul dance night at the Black Cat, Sept. 9. Grab a date and get on down for $5.

3 Bonsai Demonstration at the U.S. National Arboretum: Learn how regular plants become miniaturized in a free and informal presentation. Aug. 21, 1 - 2:30 p.m.

4 "You Are What You Wear: Kimonos Revealed on the Tokaido Road" lecture at the Phillips Collection: Accompanies the Phillips' latest exhibit, "Hiroshige." $6 with a student ID.

5 A sno cone and stroll around the National Mall: $2 (plus Metro fare, of course).

6 Trio Balanca at Jazz in the Garden: Totally free evening of jazz in the National Gallery of Art's sculpture garden. Sept. 2, 5 p.m.

7 "Cruising" onscreen at the Library of Congress: See the grisly and controversial Al Pacino film that incited riots and protests when it debuted in 1980. Screened for free on Sept. 2, 7 p.m.

8 Dupont Circle's "Art on Call" celebration: Free art, food and fun when Dupont unveils its slew of painted call boxes at 20th Street and Massachusetts Avenue. Sept. 1, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.

9 Lucero, Limbeck, Chris Mills and the New Miserable Bastards: Live at the Black Cat for $10 on Sept. 14.

10 National Museum of the American Indian: The Smithsonian's latest addition. Open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every day except Christmas, and admission is always free.