Fourth of July: Only in D.C.

Fireworks, festivals and fun make for a capital summer

Ah, summer in the District. Between diving headfirst into internships and classes, it's easy to forget that D.C.'s long, lazy days and temperate, starry nights are punctuated with a fabulous slate of fun (and free!) events. Make the most of your time in the nation's capital by grabbing some shades, hopping on the Metro and jumping right in!

Things to know:

The National Mall is most accessible from the Smithsonian Metro stop located on the Red/Orange/Blue lines. On July 4, however, the Smithsonian stop will be closed, so all events can be accessed handily from Metro Center (Red/Orange/Blue lines), Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red/Yellow/Green lines), Judiciary Square (Red line), Federal Triangle (Blue/Orange lines), or L'Enfant Plaza (Blue/Orange/Yellow/Green) lines.

Hundreds of thousands of tourists flock to D.C. for July 4 festivities, so assume huge crowds and long Port-O-Potty lines. Also keep in mind that security at all National Mall events is tight. Expect to wait in lines to go through metal detectors and bag checks. Likewise, toting any alcoholic beverages will earn you the ire of Capital Police, not to mention possible denied entrance and/or incarceration.

Each event is different and subject to change due to weather, so check the specifics before you go at www.digitalcity.com/washington.

Smithsonian Folklife Festival June 23 - 27 and June 30 - July 4, 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. National Mall

Put on by the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, this cross-cultural extravaganza is in its 39th year and is an international afficionado's delight. It typically focuses on one to four countries or regions, sharing food, storytelling, architecture, textiles, scents and traditions from each. This year's focus will be Oman, Latino music and American food culture. Internationally renowned, the festival is one of the best of its kind and draws over one million visitors to the nation's capital from around the world. Free concerts are held in the evenings.

For more information, call (202) 633-9884.

Jazz in the Garden Fridays from June 3 - Sept. 16, 5 - 8 p.m. National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden

The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden may serve as an ice skating rink in the winter, but it's just as accommodating during the summer. This free concert series takes place every Friday night outside the gallery's Pavilion Caf? and grand reflecting pool fountain, featuring local jazz acts and light fare and non-alcoholic beverages for sale. There are few classier ways to spend a free night on the town.

The Sculpture Garden is located at 7th Street and Constitution Avenue on the National Mall, adjacent to the West Building of the National Gallery of Art.

Screen on the Green Mondays from July 18 - Aug. 15, sunset National Mall

It's hard to think of anything nicer than kicking back at sunset with a beach blanket and picnic basket. Thus, seven years ago Screen on the Green - five weeks of classic movies on a jumbo screen on the National Mall - was born. Beginning July 18, silver screen faves such as "The Way We Were" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" will play each Monday night at sunset between Fourth and Seventh streets. Veteran Screen on the Green-goers know to show up early - crowds start claiming prime lawn spots as early as 5 p.m. Bug spray is a must, but unless you'd like to get friendly with fellow viewers and/or local law enforcement officials, leave any tall lawn chairs and alcoholic beverages at home.

Movies play on except in extreme weather, and there aren't make-up dates for cancelled flicks. For updates, call 877-262-5866. And, like most excellent D.C. events, all five movies are entirely free, freeing up your wallet for a pre- or post-movie dinner date.

National Independence Day Parade July 4, 11:45 a.m. Constitution Avenue between Seventh and 17th streets

Who doesn't love a parade? And in the nation's capital, it's done right. Over 300,000 spectators decked out in red, white and blue garb are expected attend the extravaganza, which will feature the typical parade fare of marching bands and gigantic inflatable balloons. Professionally designed floats from all imaginable specialty groups will be represented, including clog dancers, fiddlers and cowboys. The founding fathers and Uncle Sam on stilts always make an appearance, as well.

The parade route runs one mile along Constitution Avenue, starting near the Capitol building and passing between the Washington Monument and White House. If you can't make it early enough for the kickoff, never fear - the entire spectacle usually lasts two hours.

A Capitol Fourth Concert July 4, 8 p.m. U.S. Capitol, East Capitol Street at First Street

The West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol becomes the stage for several spectacular free shows year-round, including this ever-popular Independence Day revue. Hosted by actor Barry Bostwick, this year's show boasts performances by Gloria Estefan, The Beach Boys, Irish tenor Ronan Tynan, soulsters the O'Jays, Kimberley Locke of "American Idol," and the timeless National Symphony Orchestra, playing spot-on renditions of patriotic pop favorites and a "Star Wars" musical tribute. As if that wasn't great enough, actor Jimmy Smits will make an appearance.

The entire concert will be broadcast live on both PBS and NPR and ends in the July 4 fireworks display. Those who want to avoid crowds can show up to picnic and watch the dress rehearsal (sans the famous people) on July 3 at 7 p.m.

Fourth of July fireworks July 4, 9 p.m. National Mall, 15th Street at Constitution Avenue, NW

The tradition of July 4 fireworks began when Thomas Jefferson hosted the very first Fourth of July celebration at the president mansion. Over 200 years later, the District still delivers when it comes to this Independence Day favorite. The free pyrotechnic spectacular is launched from the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool and explodes over the Washington Monument, bathing downtown D.C. in a colorful, festive glow. Ahhh.

Although the show doesn't start until 9:10 p.m., plan to show up and stake out a viewing spot early. To avoid crowds on the Mall, consider other picturesque viewing sites such as the FDR Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, the Ellipse and anywhere along the Mall between 14th Street and the Capitol building. If you're lucky enough to know someone with a car, hitch a ride to Hains Point in Potomac Park, where the view is spectacular and picnic tables will be available. Rain date is July 5. For more information, call (202) 619-7222.