Thursday, May 2, 2024

Jaysingh will be missed, but not yet

Already down a set, senior Juan Jaysingh trailed 5-2 in the second set against Howard's Kenneth Brown, who chipped, volleyed and charged the net all match long Wednesday, never letting AU's team captain find his rhythm.

But before it ended, Jaysingh adapted. He won a game on serve, then broke back to get to 5-4. On serve down 6-5, he staved off multiple set points and deuces before finally pushing the set to a tiebreak.

Brown, on Jaysingh's Senior Day, won the tiebreak and the match, 6-4, 7-6. But AU, which picked up four singles victories and the doubles point, had already ensured a 5-2 victory, pushing the Eagles to 15-3 overall with a 5-0 Patriot League record. And Jaysingh, with his unceasing effort in what was an inconsequential No. 1 slot singles match, again showed everyone why the team's only senior is also its heart and soul.

"When [we] preach to the team and tell them what goes and what doesn't, and tell the guys what they need to be doing, we have a living example like Juan," AU coach Kyle Bailey said.

Jaysingh, who has been a role player for AU in previous years - especially the last, when a medical red shirt forced him to play the part of team cheerleader - is finally surfacing as the dominant force on the PL's top team. For several matches now, Jaysingh has supplanted junior Juancarlo Vazquez at the No. 1 seed. And his victory at that spot against perennial rival Army Saturday was crucial in securing a 4-3 win and the right to host the PL championships on April 23 and 24.

"I'm just happy for him," Vazquez said when asked about losing the No. 1 spot. "He hasn't played at No. 1 in his career, and he deserves it."

That Jaysingh could enter Senior Day knowing the PL championship would give him at least one more home outing was perhaps the best tribute to his leadership in what has been, by all accounts, a trying season.

With five seniors graduating last year, league polls predicted that for the first time since AU joined the PL four years ago, it would not win the men's tennis crown. Then in late February, the team, along with Women's Tennis and Golf, learned it would not exist after the current season.

Jaysingh became the team's chief consoler, Bailey said. He was also among the most outspoken athletes during a week of outcries in reaction to the decision, and he helped organize a town hall event at which athletes, students, alumni and faculty discussed their questions and misgivings.

"We had Juan here, saying, 'Don't worry guys, things are going to be fine,' " Bailey said. "That was huge to have, because, to be honest, some of the guys were panicking."

After that week, a statement from AU President Benjamin Ladner announced the teams in question would remain until after spring 2006, easing some pressure. Jaysingh and the rest of the Eagles then focused on transferring their outrage to the court.

"I guess the first few days were tough," said Vazquez of playing after the announcement. "But after a month or two, we've shown how good we can be."

That they have, already overcoming PL contenders Army, Navy and Colgate once this season, with a team lacking college experience outside of Jaysingh and Vazquez. While defending the Eagles' PL title was still the objective this year, even Jaysingh had doubts considering the transition and turmoil.

"Our goal always was to win the PL, but me personally, I wasn't sure [if we could]," he said. "We definitely had the potential, but I was not sure we had enough match experience to come through. I wasn't sure the guys could step up, but they did."

The title isn't in the bag, but on their home courts the Eagles have to like their chances. And with matches against William and Mary and Lehigh to go before postseason play begins, the Eagles have time to fix some problems.

"I still don't feel like we've got six guys playing at their full potential," Bailey said. "And the doubles point has given us trouble all year. Even though that's one point, that's huge when you're playing a team like Army. That's part of the work we've got to do right now."

But while they do that work, they can be certain of one final homecoming. Jaysingh had the rare luxury of experiencing Senior Day while knowing he still had one or two home outings left and knowing he could enjoy himself.

"I had fun, especially in the doubles," Jaysingh said. "I played with a freshman on the team. I requested to play [Daniel Frid]. That was something, for me to have fun with someone who gives 110 percent."

Frid rarely sees singles action and is, for now, a role player. Perhaps a torch is being passed.